Suggestions for what to feed my greyhound

Gomez77

Greetings everyone, no doubt this will have been asked a number of times before but I'm really desperate for advice on what to feed my greyhound. 

She is a 3 year old who was trained to race but deemed not fast enough. We adopted her around easter last year. One thing that we have struggled with since day one is getting her bowel movements to be healthy. Without going into horrible detail, her dumps or frequently very difficult to pick up. The first one of the day is usually not too bad but they deteriorate after that. While this is not good for us trying to be responsible dog owners and cleaning up after her, more importantly it suggests that her stomach is not in the best condition.

We have tried a number of different brands of dry food. She usually has sliced chicken with this. She often gets tinned mackerel and that is one way to be sure she will clean her plate. We occasionally give her wet food and have tried different brands, although this has most frequently coincided with particularly bad reactions in terms of bowel movements.

The other problem is that she is quite a fussy eater. If we give her something new, she will usually wolf it down and really enjoy having it for two or three days but she quickly gets bored and starts just picking out the bits that she likes - usually sliced chicken and leaving everything else.

I would appreciate any advice that you can offer.

Thanks

It will help if you tell us where you are located - just a general idea.  The food brands are different in the US, vs. UK vs. Australia etc.  

If you throw too much at her stomach at once, that can also cause this issue.  Start with the dog food only at the feeding amount noted on the bag for her weight. No chicken, no mackerel etc until you see how she does on the food. The add-ins can cause the stool issue, and if feeding a balanced food, aren't necessary. Also, if you make changes to her diet, then only introduce a change gradually, usually about 1/4 cup at a time of the new food replacing the old food. 

If you need to entice her to eat, then I would use one of the dried meal toppers that you sprinkle on top of the food instead of sliced meat, fish etc. 

Good luck. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

We have had our dog for almost four years and spent the first 2 1/2 worrying about how to firm up his poop. We have tried a couple of different foods (we always change it gradually, usually over the course of a month to be safe) and currently feed him a mid price complete kibble with either yogurt or kefir drink and Olewo carrots. The carrots add fibre to his stool and help produce a firm poop - in the first instance. The more poops he does on a walk, the softer they get. As I understand it, when a greyhound is taken out for a walk (and the goal is for him to poop) he will do two or three poops in quick succession. This means that the stool travels through his digestive tract quite quickly and less water is absorbed, giving the runny stool you are experiencing. This is quite normal, but we found that addition of carrots improves the consistency a bit - but not completely. This is our dogs ‘normal’, and we have stopped trying to fix him because there is nothing wrong with him. (The yogurt and kefir can act as probiotic supplements but honestly we add them just because he absolutely loves them).

Presumably she has been tested for worms, but if you live in a region where hookworms are prevalent, a single negative result should be interpreted with caution. If not, is she being wormed frequently?

Ours recently had a bout of gastroenteritis and we had to carry a bottle of water with us because we couldn’t pick anything up. But we have the added bonus of living in Britain in February so the rain pretty much takes care of cleaning up after us :D

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Agree with the above in making reference to gradual changes, allow a week or so to see how she goes.

There will be some trial and error until you determine what does and does not agree with her. Yoghurt has proven to be a good addition for our two, but fruit and veg can cause issues, so I tend to keep this to a minimum / treat. The addition of meat/fish opens up another topic of debate, but may be avoid for now and dial in the core of her diet to begin with.

I am based in the UK and have settled with Purina kibble for our dry fed GH (other is raw, again a whole new topic!!), who offer a wide range tailored to specific "needs".

On 2/22/2022 at 1:22 AM, MerseyGrey said:

... Olewo carrots. The carrots add fibre to his stool and help produce a firm poop - in the first instance. The more poops he does on a walk, the softer they get. As I understand it, when a greyhound is taken out for a walk (and the goal is for him to poop) he will do two or three poops in quick succession. This means that the stool travels through his digestive tract quite quickly and less water is absorbed, giving the runny stool you are experiencing. This is quite normal, but we found that addition of carrots improves the consistency a bit - but not completely. This is our dogs ‘normal’, and we have stopped trying to fix him because there is nothing wrong with him. (The yogurt and kefir can act as probiotic supplements but honestly we add them just because he absolutely loves them)....

The above absolutely mirrors my experience with Stanley. Only difference is we give a generous dollop of actual greek yogurt instead of the kefir as a bit of dessert after a meal. Whether or not it helps...he LOVES it.

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

always start with a stool sample- make sure there your dog is free of worms or giardiasis and add in a discussion w/ the vet.

i believe in put food down for 10 min max and pick it up. for super picky eaters feed once a day- making sure they are hungry

cut out all the toppers and stick with one dry food. i'm happiest with the results of purina pro plan foods, you can go with a beef recipe of pro sport. it has higher calories and then no fear of chicken allergies. you need to look for a digestible high calorie food w/ a picky eater. i was shocked my dogs went from 4-6 bowel movements to 1 maybe 2 on pro plan. there has to be a good reason why so many professionals are feeding their dog pro plan sport.

my salukis used to suck the broth, dressing, etc off the kibble. that's when i started feeding dry food. i also fed them very late at night. 

better than owelo carrots or pumpkin is Vitamin RX Clay. It adds to their gut and really binds them. a professional handler told me about it. 

As many have said above, first rule out any medical issues, most importantly hookworm, but including giardia and other bacteria.  Even if she has been wormed, even if she's had *a* negative fecal test - hooks can remain in the environment for a very long time, and you need 3 negative fecals spaced out over about 3 months (one at 3 weeks post worming, one at 6 weeks, and one at 3 months) to be sure she's clear, then monthly preventative wormer.

The other thing I'll mention (and suspect with your description) is that she probably has an intolerance or allergy for either the protein source or the carb source (or both) in whatever you're feeding.  The most common culprits are chicken and corn, but your individual dog may have her own idea.  The only way to diagnose this is to do a conscientious food trial  with home prepared food over about 6 months, but once you figure out what the issue is and fix it, you will all be so much happier.

Third on the list is to be aware of the possibility of nutritional DCM (Dilated Cardiomyeopathy caused by feeding grain free food).  Make sure any commercial or raw food you feed is a complete food including whole grains.  Many of us have switched to Pro Plan varieties due to this issue and have not been disappointed. 

I would caution to really look at the percentage of protein content, as too high a % of protein in a food can also cause gastric upset and diarrhea.  I keep my dogs on about %25 protein, but again, your dog may vary, and it depends a LOT on how active she is throughout the week.  A dog competing in dog sports or activities regularly will need a higher percentage than your regular lay-around-on-the-couch greyhound.

You can try adding in insoluble fiber to her food, but if there is any underlying medical issue it won't help.   You can add fiber using dehydrated Olewho Carrots or Beet fiber, adding vegetables like green beans to her diet, adding overcooked brown rice (high in fiber than white rice), high fiber pasta cooked in broth, cooked or uncooked oat bran, or even plain Metamucil wafers (check for artificial sugars).

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 2 weeks later...

Feed our two chicken we cook, grated apple mixed in and grated cheese. Sometimes switch out the meat to beef or boneless fish with the cheese and apple. Costco chicken and rice formula dog bones, milk bones, a little whole milk now and than and ice cream for a special treat. We keep a list on fridge what dogs can not have to check ingredients on any other things if we decide to share it with them. They also get various safe veggies mixed in at times with their food.  They are very healthy and have good weight. One is seven years old and the other one will be nine in May. They are our sixth and seventh greyhounds.  

Edited by SanTanSnuggles

So do you feed your dogs any kibble or all home cooked?  We are still working on figuring out a workable diet.  He’d been doing well on kibble with Olewo carrots.  Then he had another round of diarrhea which coincided with adding a dental chew (which we stopped).  We had recently treated hookworms and received a negative results.  However we gave the vet another stool sample the other day and are awaiting results.  If it’s negative again we will re-focus on figuring out what he can and cannot eat!  

16 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Then he had another round of diarrhoea which coincided with adding a dental chew (which we stopped).

I have had the same experience with Grace but as I had a box full I stopped for a week and then slowly reintroduced the dental chew. I gave her half a one every other day and steadily increasing the frequency and amount until now she can have a whole one every day without any detrimental effect.

It's learning the hard way to introduce diet changes gradually and one at a time to give their digestive systems a chance to adapt.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

• 2 months later...

Coming to this very late (so hopefully your issue is sorted) but like @MerseyGrey this was our problem with Rook from day one. We have - after a number of experiments - switched over to raw food. I am not sure I am an expert in the raw food debate but that has certainly helped Rook a lot with getting his morning poo solid. I think it is the bone bits in raw food that are the main reason for this, as when he chews bones it also helps with firming, but it could also be that it imposes a longer digestion time. In any event, however, this does not stop Rook doing soft poos on his afternoon walks, if he is walking for some time. I think he just can't help himself but try and go even when he doesn't need to. So those I have just accepted as a fact of life (while encouraging him to do it in bushes etc where if I can't pick everything up it is less embarrassing!)

2 hours ago, Bee said:

. So those I have just accepted as a fact of life (while encouraging him to do it in bushes etc where if I can't pick everything up it is less embarrassing!)

Carry a paper plate to catch the poop when he heads for the bushes, then place in a bag.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png