My Timex Girl

"Takes a licking and keeps on ticking."

Sweep had surgery Tuesday to debulk the soft tissue sarcoma from her front left leg. Third surgery in a year's time, and it was not a decision we made easily. But the mass that had started out the size of a grape now looked like she was smuggling a large potato under her skin. And though the tumor itself wasn't painful, her paw had starting to swell from her compromised circulation. Despite this, she remained her happy, chattering, chowhound self. Her last chest x-rays showed three tiny nodules in her lungs. It was now or never, and she was cleared for surgery if we wanted to try the debulking procedure. The surgeon was willing if not terribly optimistic. We want her final few months to be as comfortable as possible, and we were constantly worried the mass would start to ulcerate, so we decided to go for it.

We finally caught a bit of a break in that the tumor was not really attached to the skin and it came out much more easily than the surgeon had expected. He was never aiming for clean margins, but he was able to get a lot of it out and remove all that pressure on her foot. She spent Tuesday night there and we picked her up yesterday (my husband's birthday! her leg break surgery was on my birthday. no more birthdays for us). She was high as a kite (evidence below) and unsteady, as expected for a dog who currently essentially has 2.5 legs, but ate her dinner and many treats, which is a major hurdle cleared since that was not the case after her amp. She had a couple of panting episodes in the night when she needed to go out. I think she is figuring out how to operate her giant carrot bandage. 

66373376724-EDD30-C53-067-D-420-D-A94-E-

This morning she is walking a little better already and she had a full breakfast and took care of p & p business (hallelujah! some of you remember how that went after amp). We're feeling good about our decision.

So that's the latest in our journey. Please send good vibes to my girl for a swift and uneventful recovery. Soon enough we hope she'll feel like dozing in sunbeams in the backyard and snarking at the cat again!

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Sweep :kiss2 Showin' 'em how to Keep. On. Doin. It. Rite. :yay :confetti

{{Mom & Dad}} :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

:wub:     Sweep    :kiss2

:bighug     Sweeps ‘rents

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Sunbeams right around the corner, sweet girl.  :wub:

I think she is figuring out how to operate her giant carrot bandage. 

Somebody at the vet practice must be a Tennessee Volunteers fan.  At least it coordinates with the teal harness.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

A few photos from today. Far less stoned!

"Hey, was that a cheese wrapper?"

51822510644_fc4e4f1d2b_z.jpg

51822510614_bef0e6822c_z.jpg

"You're going to share that, right?"

51822885890_6e9e7ca03b_z.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

I hope Sweep is continuing to heal well. She sure looked awesome on Saturday.

:beatheart Sweep :beatheart

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

6 minutes ago, GreyPoopon said:

I hope Sweep is continuing to heal well. She sure looked awesome on Saturday.

:beatheart Sweep :beatheart

Thank you. She's doing solo potty breaks and gallumphing down the length of the house again. And eating enthusiastically (she reminds me of Ducky's orthodontically challenged boy Percy here):

6-DB81-E46-F1-DC-4276-A202-8-B4336-B19-E

Edited by ramonaghan

:wub: 

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross