Ears?

Moo

Wasn't really sure where to best put this as it's not really a "health" question, but how do greys sometimes get (permanent) pointy ears? I can't imagine they're being cropped by racing breeders and owners since what's the point? I'm very much against cropping but the pointy ears are so cute! I've also seen a few flop varieties, like some whose ears will flop forward in quite an elegant way, bit like puppy ears. I'm guessing they just fall like that? 

Their ears are NOT cropped!!

Do you mean the tip is more pointed vs a more round tip?  
Or some Greys ears stay standing up vs others that just flop around?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Greyhound ears have a mind of their own. Some more so than others.

Jet would hold hers straight up or folded together toward the middle on top of her head, or one up and one out, both out, both forward, one forward and one some other direction. Girl had all the ear positions.

Ryan's ears were much less "flexible" and his were mostly out to the side, sometimes up.

I've found that the ones who have "pointier" ears have thicker ears--G's ears are noticebly thicker than Roman's, he can point his straight up, while Roman's kind of just wave in the breeze if he tries it. Fuzzy is in the middle, can point both straight, but usually right ear up, left bent.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

My angel Mandy, pictured in my signature, had ears that stood up permanently. I actually had a woman stop her car, get out, and scream at me about animal abuse. I assumed she was screaming about racing, but she eventually got to ear cutting. I explained that Mandy's ears were that way naturally, but she wouldn't believe me. In the seven years she lived with me, I never saw her ears in any other position.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

I don’t know the answer to this. It just seems that some have ears that are upright (erect?) more than others. Ears do for Buddy what eyebrows do for me - they seem to convey what he is thinking and feeling very well. He would never do well in that famous painting of dogs playing poker :lol

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

8 hours ago, palmettobug said:

I've found that the ones who have "pointier" ears have thicker ears--G's ears are noticebly thicker than Roman's, he can point his straight up, while Roman's kind of just wave in the breeze if he tries it. Fuzzy is in the middle, can point both straight, but usually right ear up, left bent.

Interesting! That'd certainly explain it. My boy's are very flippy floppy so I couldn't picture how other greys could make them stick up full time. I've been curious about it since seeing a gorgeous goofy looking boy on a greyhound rescue page and have been experimenting with folding my boy's in different ways to see if they'll stay up. Good job I have patient dog. :lol

Earigami! And, yes, they do talk with those ears.

Beverly, that woman is a world class dum-dum. :rolleyes:

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Grace has very expressive ears that seem to move independently of each other. She'll often get up from her bed with one of them inside out which is followed by a quick bout of head shaking to correct it causing a few droplets spittle to fly across the room often landing on the TV screen :angry:

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Jeter's were almost always folded flat against his head.  Only occasions that merited an "ears up" were squirrel sightings and my arrivals and departures.  I felt honored to get the two-ear salute.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

17 hours ago, palmettobug said:

Beverly, that woman is a world class dum-dum. :rolleyes:

Yes, ma'am. I almost hurt my eyes rolling them after she got back in her car and sped away.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Yes, it has to do with how thick and/or flexible their ear cartilage is, which is an outcome of genetics.

I had a black greyhound that people *constantly* thought was a doberman because his ears were stand-up and not folded!  :rolleyes:  

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly