Dietary recommendations for a 7 month old grey pup

Hi all!

Hoping to get some advice on diet for Dexter, my 7 month old male pup. He currently weighs around 30kg and I thought we might be giving him a little too much food but he still seems to be on the skinny side - can see more than 2 ribs when he's standing. Poops also seem normal.
Info about how to feed grey pups are rare online!
We're currently feeding him daily:

Breakfast & Dinner

260g Beef & Lamb meat disk (50% beef, 30% lamb, 10% liver, 10% crushed bone) or Beef, Heart & Liver meat disk (80% beef, 10% heart, 5% liver, 5% kidney) - cooked with half a cup of frozen veggies, water and beef bone broth with a tablespoon of mashed pumpkin before serving
1 cup of kibble
1 teaspoon of omega oils once a day only

Lunchtime

1 whole turkey neck (approx. 270g)
1 boiled egg

Activity-wise, he gets a few short walks daily since we live in an apartment complex and a good off-lead run daily for an hour (weather permitting) but otherwise spends the rest of the time taking up the whole couch.

Writing this all down it seems like his meals are significantly better than mine...
Any feedback or advice on the macro values I should be targeting would be very welcome!

Here's a few snaps taken on his recent adventure! :)

qIjxei7.jpg8kM44g4.jpgiyrTo9N.jpgvacrbi8.jpg

What a handsome young greyhound. He looks bright eyed, alert and ready for causing mayhem so his diet can't be too bad but I agree he does look a little thin even for a greyhound.

Hopefully others who have experience with greyhound pups will be more helpful.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I've never owned a grey that young so I can't contribute much other than noticing his choice of footwear is outstanding! What are those boots? They look very smartly designed.

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

He's right in the middle of a big growth spurt, so he's going to look a bit raggedy and scrawny.  He will off and on until he attains his final adult body weight and development, sometime between 2 and 4 years old.

I'm a little fuzzy on the UK weight amounts, but it does seem he could be getting a bit more food for his activity and growth level.  IMO, the easiest thing to do would be to add another cup of kibble to breakfast and dinner. It's also the easiest to cut back or add as he needs more or less fuel for his physical development. 

The caveat to that is that it must be a complete kibble which includes a whole grain.  Please do not feed grain free food due to the risk of developing Nutrition-related Dilated CardioMyelopathy.  And raw diets are as implicated in the development of heart failure as commercial boutique kibbles.  There is not a lot of info on this in the UK, but this is a serious risk (you can search through the forum here for threads on it).  Carbs are also a necessary ingredient to a well rounded diet with the proper nutrients.  Remember that dogs are not obligate carnivores like cats.  They are domesticated scavengers and can and should eat foods from all the food groups.

If you don't want to increase his kibble you can add in some oatmeal bran or cooked oatmeal, or whole grain pasta cooked in broth.  A cup per meal.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

11 hours ago, Sniffy said:

I've never owned a grey that young so I can't contribute much other than noticing his choice of footwear is outstanding! What are those boots? They look very smartly designed.

Haha, they're the v3 iteration of the HunnyBoots: HunnyBoots.com – HunnyBoots Australia
He hates them but didn't have any problems walking in them straight away! I'll only put them on for long/trail walks and on hot days as it gets pretty warm here.

9 hours ago, greysmom said:

He's right in the middle of a big growth spurt, so he's going to look a bit raggedy and scrawny.  He will off and on until he attains his final adult body weight and development, sometime between 2 and 4 years old.

I'm a little fuzzy on the UK weight amounts, but it does seem he could be getting a bit more food for his activity and growth level.  IMO, the easiest thing to do would be to add another cup of kibble to breakfast and dinner. It's also the easiest to cut back or add as he needs more or less fuel for his physical development. 

The caveat to that is that it must be a complete kibble which includes a whole grain.  Please do not feed grain free food due to the risk of developing Nutrition-related Dilated CardioMyelopathy.  And raw diets are as implicated in the development of heart failure as commercial boutique kibbles.  There is not a lot of info on this in the UK, but this is a serious risk (you can search through the forum here for threads on it).  Carbs are also a necessary ingredient to a well rounded diet with the proper nutrients.  Remember that dogs are not obligate carnivores like cats.  They are domesticated scavengers and can and should eat foods from all the food groups.

If you don't want to increase his kibble you can add in some oatmeal bran or cooked oatmeal, or whole grain pasta cooked in broth.  A cup per meal.

Thanks! I've got him on Blackhawk puppy kibble (same since I've had him) but struggling to get the 2 cups down - I think he's a bit bored of the taste because I tried another kibble and he gobbled that up.
Only problem is I bought a huge bag of the Blackhawk so whether he likes it or not, he's going to eat it!
I'll give the pasta a go. Hopefully all that extra carb won't give him surges of energy at the wrong times... :D

3 hours ago, atomicharri said:

Thanks! I've got him on Blackhawk puppy kibble (same since I've had him) but struggling to get the 2 cups down - I think he's a bit bored of the taste because I tried another kibble and he gobbled that up.

If Grace is getting bored with her kibble I put a whole chicken in the slow cooker with nothing else and cook it until it's falling off the bone. I freeze the liquid in ice cube trays and add one to her food bowl melted with a little hot water before mixing with the kibble. The meat either gets eaten by me or cut into small chunks and frozen spread out on a tray before putting into a container in the freezer to be added to her food or given as a frozen treat.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

12 hours ago, atomicharri said:

Haha, they're the v3 iteration of the HunnyBoots: HunnyBoots.com – HunnyBoots Australia
He hates them but didn't have any problems walking in them straight away! I'll only put them on for long/trail walks and on hot days as it gets pretty warm here.

I will check them out!  As I'm in the northern hemisphere (in a snowstorm as we speak) I wonder how my Stanley would do with those in the snow.

Thanks!

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

2 hours ago, Sniffy said:

I will check them out!  As I'm in the northern hemisphere (in a snowstorm as we speak) I wonder how my Stanley would do with those in the snow.

Thanks!

@sniffy Hunneyboots come from Australia and are specifically made for those hard-to-fit sighthound feet.  They were designed and developed to help greyhounds with corns, but they work in all sorts of applications.  They do keep adapting them as they get feedback from people (hence the "version 3"), but the company is pretty responsive and very helpful when you're measuring and figuring out sizes.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

On 1/7/2022 at 1:06 PM, greysmom said:

@sniffy Hunneyboots come from Australia and are specifically made for those hard-to-fit sighthound feet.  They were designed and developed to help greyhounds with corns, but they work in all sorts of applications.  They do keep adapting them as they get feedback from people (hence the "version 3"), but the company is pretty responsive and very helpful when you're measuring and figuring out sizes.

That is great to hear!

• 3 weeks later...

i have raised both greyhound and whippet puppies. he looks fine! just continue feeding him as much as he will eat, you will have skinny periods, looking filled out periods and then skinny times again. somewhere around 2 the GH fill out. the whippets somewhere around 9 months.  enjoy and remember they mature slowly- and adolescence is difficult on you! what ever they learned as a puppy goes right out the window. just be consistent and enjoy daily cocktails or wine. it all comes back, eventually.