Underdeveloped puppy

xiloxal

Hi everyone!

So here is the story, I adopted a 3 months old puppy back in October. He was gaining mass and was growing at a desirable rate, until he stopped when he was around 4 months old. He is happy and eats well, we fed him with AAA grade dog-food, however his growth seems to be stunted.
We had him dewormed multiple times, so I do not think this is the issue.
The only thing that comes to my mind, is that he is maybe suffering from dwarfism, or any other genetic condition.

We've seen the parents, and the mother is medium sized, but the father is more on the bigger side.
The vet told us he is healthy, and could see no signs of any other issues, besides his size. 

He was around 5.2 kg at 3 months.

At 3.5 months old he was 6.9 kg.

At 4 months he was 9 kg.

Now he is 5 months old and only 10.5 kg.

Any advice would be welcome.

TLDR: Well fed puppy won't grow, and he has no worms or diseases.

Edited by xiloxal

This is a greyhound puppy, yes? Is the AAA grade dog food for puppies or adult dogs? Do you have any photos of him or his parents?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Yes he is a greyhound puppy, I forgot to mention that, also he is not my first greyhound I had one for 12 years, but he passed away this summer.
I'm familiar with the breed, but I felt like reaching out, because I never seen something like this.

My first thought would be he is a whippet or whippet/greyhound mix, but we've seen the parents, so this is out of the question.

We feed him a mix of 50% kebble and 50% wet both are made for puppies, and are from the brand Nulo. 

Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of the parents but here is a picture of him taken yesterday as he turned 5 months old, his height is 47 cm.

He certainly is adorable!

Maybe he's just the "runt" of the litter.  My childhood dog was a dachshund who was too large to be a 'miniature' dachshund but much too small to be a 'standard' dachshund despite being a purebred. It turns out he was a Standard dachshund, but the runt of his litter.  He was healthy and lived a long life (15+ years).

I don't know if the runt phenomenon is common among greyhounds, however--I haven't heard stories of any.  I just hope he remains healthy -- he is  so cute!

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

If he's moving and behaving normally, eating and drinking the correct amount of food and water and his stools are normal, and as you say the vet can't find anything wrong, just accept that is who he is. A cute bundle of fun :D

He might have a sudden growth spurt like children do.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Quick update:

It’s for sure now, that he’ll be on the smaller side of greyhounds.

At 8,5 months he’s around 17,7 kg and 55 cm of height.

As I mentioned earlier, he behaves and eats as normally, he’s just a bit tiny.

This is him currently, the dog bed he’s laying on has measurements of 120x80 cm.

Our males averaged around 27kg so some males are smaller than others. He sure is a cute little fellow.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Just had a couple extra thoughts...

He's still a puppy.  He'll continue to grow and have growth spurts until he's 18 months or so.  So he could still end up closer to "average" size.

Two things to discuss with your vet:

1)  Your vet can snap a quick xray of the end of the long bones in his legs and check on the progress of the closing up of his growth plates.  Once those are closed, he will have reached puberty and physical maturity, and he won't get substantially bigger (bone-wise) at that point.

2)  Investigate the condition of his heart.  Especially if you are feeding a grain free dog food.  Heart issues can slow growth and be very dangerous.  If possible have an ultrasound done by a competent technician (takes 20 minutes, no anesthesia involved) to check for congenital defects and other issues.  It's rare in greyhounds but it does happen.

He's adorably cute!!!  However big he ends up getting!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 1 month later...

also, not mentioned is large dog puppies DO NOT need a ton of protein in their kibble. they need to grow s-l-o-w-l-y!  watch ankles for knobbies- growth platelets that are still growing. that's what it's all about. really no need for unnecessary x-rays. smaller dogs grow faster.

felix who came to me at 7 weeks matured to a 74lb/29.5"(at shoulder) male at 2.5 yrs of age. so, it can take a while. Mango, a whippet, who is now the top of the standard and 34lbs had closed growth plates at 6-7 months and settled into her shoulders after her first heat. she was totally mature at around 18 months. salukis take years to mature, growth plates close around 9 months and they reach their mature weight at 2-3+. 

just watch and if your pup is happy, playing, getting into trouble and has a great coat(looks like he does) then don't worry! ENJOY! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE feed a tried and true old fashioned dog food! less is more sometimes. GRAIN FREE LEADS TO DCM! (one of my dog's littermate was fed grain free- he's gone now, congestive heart failure due to grain free feed)

also, if you are concerned about dwarfism his legs would be short, bowed and paws toed out!

just converted height and weight to inches/pounds- he's perfect! 

Edited by cleptogrey