New to Billings!

Snuka

Hi, we just moved from Illinois to Billings, MT and own a retired racing greyhound named Snuka. He raced in Daytona under the name Jimmy Snuka. He was born in May 2013, Whelp Date 5/15/2013, and raced until May 2016. We adopted him through Prison Greyhounds in Indianapolis (www.prisongrehounds.org), and he spent about 2 months in the Putnamville Correction Center in Indiana.

Snuka continues to be a great (or should I say Greyt) travel companion, pet, always loves being with me. We moved into a dog-friendly apartment complex, but most of the people here have small dogs who bark and yap all the time. Snuka always calmly walks through the halls with me and gets attention from everyone.

So my point is we need to find a local veterinarian who has experience with greyhounds and their special medical concerns. Can some of our new Billings greyhound friends suggest a veterinarian for us to use? Snuka already has all his shots and is up-to-date with everything. We just want to plan ahead for future needs. Thanks in advance.

IMG_0245 (1).jpeg

Beautiful.   That's a big bed he's got there, for his new Big Sky home.

Edited to add: sorry I can't help with vet recommendations, but best of luck!

Edited by Sniffy
forgot to answer the question in the OP

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

Welcome to GreyTalk!  

I'm on the other side of the country so no vet info, but when I moved to my current remote rural area, I gave this to our new vet, who had never even seen a greyhound before:  file:///C:/Users/emc2g/Downloads/Greyhound%20Idiosyncrasies.pdf

It's wonderful to have a grey-savvy vet, but in this internet age, you can still get excellent care for your hound with a vet who's willing to research and, of course, work with you.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

19 hours ago, Sniffy said:

Beautiful.   That's a big bed he's got there, for his new Big Sky home.

Edited to add: sorry I can't help with vet recommendations, but best of luck!

Hi, and thanks for your note. Yes, that bed is 6' x 6' square and about 10" thick. It's his favorite bed, to say the least. When we were moving into the apartment, I moved that bed from room to room to allow access for the moving company people. Wherever I put that bed, Snuka went right to it. At one point it was in the second bathroom, and by golly he managed to spread out on that bed even in a rather small room. It's such an easy travel companion!

6 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Welcome to GreyTalk!  

I'm on the other side of the country so no vet info, but when I moved to my current remote rural area, I gave this to our new vet, who had never even seen a greyhound before:  file:///C:/Users/emc2g/Downloads/Greyhound%20Idiosyncrasies.pdf

It's wonderful to have a grey-savvy vet, but in this internet age, you can still get excellent care for your hound with a vet who's willing to research and, of course, work with you.  

Hello, and thanks for your note. Unfortunately I'm not able to load documents from the C: drive on your computer. I can do a google search for related material and see what I can find. Thanks again.

You can print a wallet card from the Greyhound Health Inititive site. The card shows the corrected normal blood test ranges for greyhounds. https://www.greyhoundhealthinitiative.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Printable-Greyhound-Wallet-Cards.pdf

We had a member here who I think was in or near Billings. I seem to remember that she relocated elsewhere a couple of years ago, but hopefully she will see your request when she checks the site and be able to suggest a vet for you. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Sorry, didn't realize I was just posting my download.  Here's a link to a version written for non-veteranarians:  https://www.greyhoundfriends.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/medical-faq-idiosyncracies20.pdf

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I think Adrienne used to live in Billings before moving to Alaska. Let me go find her....

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Greetings from Alaska but I lived in Billings with my 3 greyhounds. I don't know what part of Billings you are in but the vet I used was Lockwood Veterinary Service, 3025 Old Hardin Rd. (406) 252-7392.

It's a small clinic and they get to know you and your animals. It was a bit of of a drive for me, and there were vets closer but I feel it was worth the drive. 

If you go there, tell them I sent you!

Let me know if you want to connect with other greyhounds & their owners.

Edited by MTFSTHNDS

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer

On 12/16/2021 at 3:29 PM, Time4ANap said:

You can print a wallet card from the Greyhound Health Inititive site. The card shows the corrected normal blood test ranges for greyhounds. https://www.greyhoundhealthinitiative.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Printable-Greyhound-Wallet-Cards.pdf

We had a member here who I think was in or near Billings. I seem to remember that she relocated elsewhere a couple of years ago, but hopefully she will see your request when she checks the site and be able to suggest a vet for you. 

Wow, that printable card really helps. Thanks for the link!

On 12/17/2021 at 6:16 PM, MTFSTHNDS said:

Greetings from Alaska but I lived in Billings with my 3 greyhounds. I don't know what part of Billings you are in but the vet I used was Lockwood Veterinary Service, 3025 Old Hardin Rd. (406) 252-7392.

It's a small clinic and they get to know you and your animals. It was a bit of of a drive for me, and there were vets closer but I feel it was worth the drive. 

If you go there, tell them I sent you!

Let me know if you want to connect with other greyhounds & their owners.

Thank you so much for recommending this vet. We just moved to southwest Billings, but a drive across town won't hurt us since we'll be going to a great vet. Thanks again for the recommendation. We'll tell them you sent us!

• 2 weeks later...