Choking BEFORE a treat

We have a new retired greyhound, had him about 3 months and mainly he shows the same behaviours etc as our previous girl and he is settling in a treat! He just does one thing that I’ve never seen before. When we give him a treat, and sometimes with his tea, he will start to make funny choking breathing noises BEFORE we’ve given it him! It’s like he is over excited. I can’t find anything on line to say if this behaviour is normal or not so I just wondered if anyone else’s greyhounds did this?!

Hi, and welcome! Sweep has always done this, and like you, I just assume it's overexcitement or maybe she's salivating and she gags a bit. Sometimes I'll rub her throat to help it pass quicker, but I don't think there's any cause for concern.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Yes! Wiki does this too. Freaked me out at first because my prior greyhound didn't do it. As the others have said, it does appear to just be excitement leading to the production of a lot of dog spit. :lol:

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Grace does it while she's eating and lifts her head away from the bowl dropping half chewed food over the floor :angry:

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

On 12/14/2021 at 7:19 AM, Moo said:

I suppose it's like a "I'M SO HAPPY I COULD BARF!" thing :lol

:rofl    Yep, pretty much.  Mercury chokes on his own saliva when anticipating. 

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound