Going down stairs!

Notnat1

Hello all, 

I bow to your Greyhound wisdom! I am a first time Greyhound owner I am adopting a beautiful 3 YO ex racer from his kennels. 

I have had a couple of weekend visits and a few walks with him, and will get him just before Christmas as that's when I have a good amount of time of work to help him settle properly. 

He has been amazing and I know he still has to settle and he may well develop a few bad habits. the only problem I have is I live in a flat which is on the first floor. I have my own door but to access it he has to go up and down stairs. Now going up he is great, no problem.. like does it in two bounds. Coming down he can do it.... I've seen him do it....but he does it when he wants to do it. Which is an issue when I want him to go out for toilet before bed or to take him out for walks. We have had a few accidents indoors but these have stopped and he will tell me when he wants to go out. Basically when I want him to go out he will come to the top of the stairs and then just stop there. I think there is obviously still a bit of fear. 

I have tried treats but he won't go for them when the stairs is concerned, his favourite toy doesn't do it either. I have had to carry him down a few times as I needed to take him back to the kennel (which breaks by heart btw), he is heavy! I can't keep doing that as I am worried I will fall and hurt him. I spoke to the trainer who says he has never been one to jump in the van. 

Also I would like to add he is totally fine when out walking and we go down stairs! Before you say, I have also tried putting him on his lead in the house and walking him down but this is worse, he switches off totally so I see no point in dragging him down. 

Any advice gratefully received. 

N

He's getting you trained already. Why should he walk down when his servant will carry him down :D

I don't know how big he is but could you put him in a harness and persuade him to walk down the stairs while supporting him? Or perhaps put him down a couple of stairs from the bottom so he does the last few steps and then increase the distance from the bottom each time?

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Lots of practice, lots of encouragement and lots of praise. He will get the idea. My personal experience (very limited) of trying to get them to do something specific is that they will avoid it because you want them to do it, you will get frustrated and give up, and they will then decide to do it on their own. You will be ecstatic and they will look at you with a puzzled look as if to say ‘what’s the big deal?’. Greyhound and parent live happily ever after.

Obviously in this scenario you don’t have the luxury of giving up, so keep practicing. It will come.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Your demeanor will determine in large part whether this is a fun or frustrating challenge.  :)  

First, what are the treads like on the stairs?  Are they carpeted or textured (good) or slippery wood/tile (bad)?  If slippery, since you live in a flat would you be able to put down those sticky stair tread pads or something else?  Your dog might be scared of slippery stairs, with good reason.  

I second the idea of getting a harness.  Not a harness for walking,  but what's called an assistance harness where you can support them with an attached strap on top.  Since you live with stairs, this would be a good item to have on hand for the future in case you have to help your dog in case of injury.  

So, with harness in place, you put lots of treats in your pockets and approach the down stairs with a cheerful and confident attitude.  "Here we go!" or some other command phrase.  Then, holding the harness strap and keeping the dog pressed against your side, you "assist" your dog like you were carrying a suitcase, saying cheerful and confident things the entire time.  At the bottom, you have a party!  Good boy!  Treats all 'round!   You don't want to give him any option, but you don't want it to be a negative experience, either.

When going up, you might want to consider slowing him down and discouraging his "two bounds" up method, since this might cause an injury at some time.  Treats every few steps should do it, plus reinforce to him that the stairs are a great place.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Like others I expect he will get there with time, but meanwhile, do you have a friend/neighbour with a dog who could come round and demonstrate that Stairs Are Easy?

Maybe someone from the rescue could help out with a home visit, with or without another hound - it's a not uncommon problem but obviously also one it would be good to sort out prior to adoption.

Also, what is the lighting on the stairs like? Could improving visibility help?

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

I had a similar but not identical issue with our boy.  He weighs 85lbs and wouldn’t get in the vehicle for some reason.  I carried him to the vehicle about three or four times and he finally got the idea that it was ok.  Never knew what his issue was.  Grey’s are mystical beasts.  You could also try looping his leash behind his haunches and pull.  It puts pressure on his back legs. It works for others it was not helpful for our guy.  Good luck

My grey didn't go up or down stairs in the house, but loves to climb things when outdoors. For some reason, he one day decided "yes, stairs good. I will stairs" and has started whizzing up and down them of his own accord. :lol The only suggestion I have is putting treats on each step. I have to often do this to get him downstairs at night for his pees and poos before bed. 

Having another dog come over and show them is a good idea.  I have done this.  Also - a harness with a back lift is good.  In a pinch you can put a towel under his belly like a sling and a leash on his collar to steady him and lift his back legs a little.  A second person below you is good for safety so he doesn't stumble forward if you have someone.

Welcome to this wonderful world of Greyhounds.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.