Chicken soup for the greyhound soul

Those of you who have had a pet who didn't want to eat will find this familiar.

Sat. evening Jeter didn't want his chicken breast morsels at first, but he did eagerly lap the broth they were sitting in.  So I thought -- soup!  Get solids and liquids in him at the same time!  Sunday I simmered the meaty carcass of a chicken I had been pulling from as well as a meaty pork rib.  Hesitated about adding rice, but thought -- rice overcooked in meat broth -- what dog could resist?   After a few hours of gentle simmering and adding more water, sieved out the solids and put ground turkey into the broth to up the meat content.  Went through the chicken meat with my fingertips to find bones.  Kept finding another teeny-tiny one each time I thought I was through.  Hands covered in grease almost up to my wrists.  Horrible flashbacks to being tortured as a child with this kitchen chore.  Skimmed the fat from the broth, added the now-shredded meat; warmed up to just over room temperature.  Presented to His Majesty, who sniffed and turned his head away.  "Meh."  

So Milo and Gelsey will be getting a dipperful of stew on their kibble each meal for the foreseeable future.  

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

:rofl  Been there done that! 

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Been there too.  You don't know until you try though. 

"Magical Dinner Dust" from Stella and Chewy has been a big hit with some of our seniors who didn't want to eat. Just sprinle it on their regular food. I try to mix it in pretty well so that everything is covered with it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Stella-Chewys-Freeze-Dried-Magical-Cage-Free/dp/B07SM1QT2J

I also haven't had a dog turn down full fat (4%) cottage cheese stirred through their meal. Both are worth a try if you haven't already tried them.  

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Boy, can I relate. Thankfully with chemo behind us we're not facing that anymore (knock on wood), but we wasted a lot of food and washed a lot of dishes. Usually only to find Sweep would suddenly eat something she'd rejected before. So don't hesitate to try something again--it might smell yummier today than it did yesterday, and tomorrow it might be gross again. Oatmeal with plain boiled chicken is one of our go-tos. 

Please eat, Jeter. :kiss2 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Not quite BTDT--no fishing for bones that I recall--but definitely hours spent to earn a meh.

A trick that I learned from my senior diabetic kitty: pureeing food into soup. I'm not sure why, but it makes some semi-interesting foods more palatable.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Dogs can be so weird. They turn down that lovingly prepared nomlicious offering, yet will raid the litter box. 

Jeter, do you need Seamie's List :heart :brokenheart Please eat, young man :beatheart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

17 hours ago, Remolacha said:

One thing that she usually would eat was canned tuna in vanilla Ensure :puke

Wow, that's quite a Senior Tuna Melt!

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

Have already tried Magical Dinner Dust and cottage cheese and tuna and sardines/canned salmon and shaky cheese and scrambled eggs and yummy yummy canned dog food (although not all together) and I forget what else to no avail.  Vet didn't like the idea of cottage cheese; is worried that dairy might cause diarrhea which would probably be disastrous for Jeter.  So that's why I haven't tried Ensure or yogurt or eggnog.  He will eat meat -- homecooked chicken or raw beef, please.  None of this processed stuff or even rotisserie chicken.  When it's cooked, I do serve it room temperature or slightly warmed.  He was eating Milk-Bone brushing chews fairly reliably but has been off them for a few days.  This morning all he would eat was peanut butter, licked off small pieces of what was originally my peanut butter toast.  

I took today off work (and will be "written up" if I take another day off without a month's notice -- gotta love working in healthcare) and made a run to the grocery store.  This afternoon Jeter ate one container of "little dog" food (took him two tries, half an hour apart) and numerous peanut butter dog biscuits.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

10 hours ago, Lexi said:

My vet recommend warming up food in the microwave just a touch to bring out the odour. 

I do something similar for Grace. I put a couple of spoonfuls of her kibble in her bowl and add boiling water then leave it to cool before adding the rest of her food.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...