Greyhound Pees in House right after Meal

We got our male 3 yo greyhound about 2 and a half months ago. Housetraining went great at first, got into a schedule and I was comfortable with him in the flat. But the last week or so he has started peeing in the house immediately after dinner. Problem is it's three floors down to the garden and we're scared that taking him there immediately after every meal may give him bloat. Is this an okay thing to do?

Whatsmore tonight I took him out after dinner and he didn't pee. Came back into the flat and he peed. Quite frustrating that he's getting worse after being so good for so long.

Yikes!  What is your current schedule for taking him out?  I have been meaning to post my 'system' which has worked for me (basically: very long walks) which I suppose I will do shortly in a separate thread.

That must be very frustrating. Perhaps there's a medical reason?

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

Hi - I'm guessing that you're in the UK?  I'm in the US, and I know situations and "norms" are different.  In my experience, bloat is very uncommon.  I've never had a problem letting my my dogs out or exercising immediately after a meal.  I've actually never heard that it it could be a concern (again, possible cultural difference/difference in breeding).  

A little more info may help.  How many times per day do you feed?  How many "outs"?  How many walks?    Is there a specific spot he is peeing in the house?  Is it a "real pee" or just a "squirt mark"?  Have you changed his diet?  Just trying to get an idea of your schedule.  G-T'ers loved details, and the more you can provide, the better advice we can offer.  (BTW - there is no "wrong" schedule).  

Also - it's not uncommon for a new dog that's doing great to have some setbacks a couple weeks or months into it.  Especially greys that settled in relatively easily.  You just get feeling great - and BAM - they revert.  It happens A LOT.  Go back to basics.  Lots of "outs", lots of positive reinforcement, and the best of luck to you.  I know it's frustrating, but hang in there, and you'll figure this out.  

If you need a little comic relief - I had a dog at my house that I was dog-sitting for a friend for a weekend.  I had her outside for 3 HOURS - in December.  I finally brought her in and she immediately pooped IN MY SLIPPER.  My very expensive Minnetonka slipper.  The left.  She turned out to be a fine dog, but the slipper story was told for many years.  

Oh - it looks like you're brand new to this site.  Welcome.  

Welcome to the forum. What's your greyhounds name?

I think bloat is only a concern if they exercise hard before or after eating. He needs to get into a different routine. Take him for a walk before meal times where other dogs have weed to see if he'll go and when he does say something like "wee wee"  followed by praise so hopefully he'll learn that by you saying "go wee wee" he'll go it on command. Put a slip lead on him so you can quickly get him outside as soon as he shows signs of needing to wee. Wash the area where he's weed inside with a solution of biological washing powder, non-bio doesn't dissolve the enzymes that causes the smell.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Thanks for the warm welcome and responses all!

Our grey's name is Nugget. It's reassuring to hear that the stairs are unlikely to trigger bloat, because that means the simple solution is just to take him to the garden after dinner which we will do tonight. I should also mention that he absolutely wolfs down his meals, and we have a slow feeder bowl on the way to stop him doing that. 

It's definitely a "real pee" (same place each time), I suppose what is surprising is he has just suddenly started to need to pee after a meal. Although we did recently change his food because his wet food wasn't agreeing with him and maybe this is the cause? 

Our current schedule is:

- 7am: 45 min walk

- 8:30am: breakfast

- 12pm: 15 min walk

- 5pm: 45 min walk

- 6:30pm: dinner 

- 8pm: trip to the garden 

And another trip to the garden right before bed. 

That schedule looks pretty good to me. Since this is new behavior, I would drop off a morning first-catch urine sample to check for any issues. In the meantime, I'd put a belly band on him while he eats and get him outside immediately after, and keep the band on him during the day until this can be resolved. Are there any other animals in the house?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

On 10/22/2021 at 7:16 PM, FiveRoooooers said:

That schedule looks pretty good to me. Since this is new behavior, I would drop off a morning first-catch urine sample to check for any issues. In the meantime, I'd put a belly band on him while he eats and get him outside immediately after, and keep the band on him during the day until this can be resolved. Are there any other animals in the house?

Thanks! We'll try this. We have no other pets.

Fwiw, my female went through a phase where she started marking after she finished eating so it's possible that's what he's doing. 

You might actually try pottying him right before he eats so his bladder is empty at meal time. As soon as he finishes move him somewhere away from where he's been peeing and engage him for a few minutes (an easy training exercise like hand targeting for instance) and then redirect to a bed and encourage him to settle. Watch like a hawk if he gets up and starts wandering.

You'll also need to clean the area where he's been peeing REALLY well to remove any smell. Use an enzymatic cleaner and be generous soaking the area and then let it dry. You could also block off his access to that spot temporarily.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."