Anti gulp dog bowl insert

Has anyone used an insert for their dog's food bowl to slow down their eating? (The dog's not the owner's :D)

Grace has started to produce more bottom burps than usual and after a bit of research I read that one cause could be the gulping down of food which introduces air into the digestive system. After a hunt on Amazon I found a star shaped device that sticks to the bottom of the bowl with a sucker. I didn't want to replace the bowl she has now as it fits in the raised food and water stand.

Her diet is the same, she has a regular worm treatment and we live in the UK so it's not hook worms.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I simply put a smaller bowl in the larger bowl to slow down the dog.  Most anything dog safe can be placed in the bowl to slow them down.  And if all else fails, find a couple of large rocks from the garden, wash them, and use that.  

I have never understood the point of a special bowl.  We put a stone or rock in horse buckets to keep them from bolting their feed, same thing works for dogs.  But maybe I am just too cheap to buy a special bowl.  :P

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Yes. One or two good sized rocks will do it. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Up here in OhCanada we use hockey pucks  ;)

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a rummage in the garden for a couple of stones and I'm sure Grace will put her nose in to help :D

17 hours ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

Up here in OhCanada we use hockey pucks  ;)

I like the idea of using an item from the national sport but I'm glad I don't live in Scotland as a curling stone might need a bigger bowl :rofl

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

9 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a rummage in the garden for a couple of stones and I'm sure Grace will put her nose in to help :D

I like the idea of using an item from the national sport but I'm glad I don't live in Scotland as a curling stone might need a bigger bowl :rofl

:lol

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

54 minutes ago, MerseyGrey said:

Cricket balls!

:rofl I just can't even ...

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

On 10/15/2021 at 4:36 PM, MerseyGrey said:

:D

How would you get those little legs apar--Oh CRICKET the sport. got it.  :D

I've actually heard of people putting a section of clean chain in the bowl (not a bicycle chain, but maybe a thicker type--the kind to lock something with.  The dog would be forced to pick at the kibble around the section of chain in the bowl.  But I haven't tried this myself.

Although Stanley wolfs down his food quickly, his brand of kibble has small pieces (shaped like large lentils) and somehow he doesn't take in much air.

Those bowls are kind of cute though...looks like the dog is solving a little maze puzzle. 

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

• 2 weeks later...

Adding that some people scatter the kibble in a 6- or 12-cupcake baking tin.  But wouldn't the dogs push the tin around on the floor?  Aggravating to human ears.

who  just threw dry kibble in the yard and let them find it!

Saw a tv show once about raising human quintuplets where the father just threw dry Cheerios on the (presumably fairly clean) kitchen floor and let the toddlers scavenge.  He said almost all the cereal ended up on the floor, anyway.  The mother stepped in to stop the breakfast fun.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• 2 months later...