Meet my new foster - BigMac

May be an image of dog and indoor

Hi all,  it's DesiRay's mom here.  Life has been so quiet since he's been gone, I couldn't stand it anymore.  Brought home this handsome gentleman

on October 1,  last Friday.   I said I was going to downsize,  since I'm over 70 now & can't get a big long legged hound into the back of my suv when

they get old/weak.    Pshaw.......    Looked & looked,  none caught my fancy.   This guy was on the website for the Ohio Lurcher Project & immediately

caught my eye.   Drove 90 min to meet him.......   80 lbs  - hunk of burnin love!!!!    So, after he was neutered, dentaled,  I picked him up as a 

foster to adopt.

A little back story,  in case you've never heard of one;   a lurcher is a greyhound mixed with a hunting (coon) hound of some sort.  Country boys in

my neck of the woods use them for "field trials."    His name is Mac,  which is now BigMac  (couldn't resist).   He was surrendered by his owner

who is getting "out of the business."     Reportedly about 7 yo.    Probably never in a house.    On  the way home,  all I could think was

WHAT WAS I THINKING?

As you can see,  he got the hang of soft beds pretty quick.

And he's even started to play.

He was terrified of my electric toothbrush & the big screen tv,  but over the past few days has conquered those fears.

Only 1 accident, the 1st night home;  not even wearing a bellyband anymore.   Leash manners picked up very quickly

I think y'all better butter me,  I'm toast.

• Like 1

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I think I saw your post on the ALP facebook group. Congrats. He's so handsome. I love those big black boys. :wub:

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

(thud)

He is so handsome!  And sweet-looking.  Yet so different from DesiRay.  No gray on his face -- he sure doesn't look 7 years old.  We are thrilled for you.  

Desi would be so proud.  (Although maybe wondering what took you so long.)

Milo sends a big welcome to his fellow lurcher.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Congratulations! He is very handsome and it sounds like he's settling in very well.

That dog bed in the second picture, those are the best beds! Where did you get it?

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

2 minutes ago, Jerilyn said:

Congratulations! He is very handsome and it sounds like he's settling in very well.

That dog bed in the second picture, those are the best beds! Where did you get it?

Home Goods, if you can believe it.

He's a love, and such a good boy. Congrats to you both! Welcome to your (Foster) home, Big Mac!

Along with the butter, shall we send some jam?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Oh wow! So big, so handsome, and so black--I'm surprised there isn't more grey on his face.

I had much the same thought as FiveRoooooers--would you like some jam with your toast?

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Congratulations BigMac on landing on a comfy bed :D

Hopefully you'll get some fries while your new owner is eating their buttered toast.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

22 hours ago, DesiRayMom said:

Home Goods, if you can believe it.

Yes, I get them from Marshalls or TJ Maxx. I was hoping you found a more reliable source. :D

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Oh my!   I wouldn't have even bothered to pretend to foster him lol.  Congrats!  He looks like a total doll and the name is perfect!  

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

What a handsome chap! And settling in so quickly. I wish you many happy times together.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Well, I could have sworn that I responded to this post from Dewey, but I don't see it.  

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

This is like the most awesome post ever.  I know that Desi is jumping up and down at the bridge with excitement for you .  I don't think I could have resisted that face either. 

Be sure to show him where the muffin stand is down at the Farmer's Market. (My favorite Desi story ever :lol)

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

How are Big Mac and you doing?  

Be sure to show him where the muffin stand is down at the Farmer's Market. (My favorite Desi story ever :lol)

I don't remember this story -- do tell!

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

3 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

I will let Desi's Mom post it.  The exact details were long ago and its better if she tells it.

It was one of those stories that made you say "That's just so DesiRay." :lol

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

On 10/18/2021 at 8:55 AM, EllenEveBaz said:

Oh my....so long ago, but of course I remember it as if it were yesterday.    DesiRay was one of the laziest/most mellow hounds I think

I have  ever met.   So much so,  that after years of being together, he earned the right to sunbathe (leashless) while I worked in the

flower beds.  He never ever went anywhere.    Until.........one day he did.  I didn't catch it for a bit & then was in a panic.   There was

a farmer's market just down the street & there was lots of foot traffic.  One told me that yes, they'd seen him,  walking along with a

mom, little girl, & a schnauzer.   So I took off like a bat out of you-know-where.   Yes, he'd gone with "the girls" to the farmer's market,

& I found him at the homemade muffin stand, schmoozing.   Scolding?  Should have, I reckon,  but instead, he came home with a

muffin.

I moved when I retired, so no more farmer's market,  but this big ole hunting dog is much more interested in the fence row in my back

yard which has corn field to one corner,  cow pasture down the other side.  So many critters wander through!!

I found him at the homemade muffin stand, schmoozing. 

BAHAHAHAHAHA   (and thank goodness!)

Big Mac is more interested in a farm than a farmer's market :)  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

I love that story.  I can just picture Desi deciding that he needed a muffin. :banana