Harness questions

Will a harness keep an energetic greyhound from jumping?  If so, what is a good brand that will fit correctly on a greyhound body?  I remember trying a harness with Rhett many years ago, and it never fit quite right.  It always seemed to rotate around his body.

We had a spook harness for Miriam since she was a full-blown spook.  That fit well, but I was hoping there might be a normal harness that would fit Banjo correctly and hopefully help with his jumping habit.

Thanks

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

I think you can communicate better through a lead and collar than through a harness. With a harness the dogs strength is distributed across his chest making it easier to pull against you.

When he jumps say NO or DOWN and move his lead downwards so your hand is nearly at ground level. Don't forget to give him praise and or a treat when he's got all four feet on the ground. You could also have a look at the Battersea Dogs Home video on stopping dogs jumping https://www.battersea.org.uk/pet-advice/dog-advice/how-teach-your-dog-not-jump

If you find you still want to use a harness I suggest you use both and use a double lead with the shorter leg connected to his collar.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I'm no help, I've got a jumper now too. Wiki gets crazy before the leash gets on though. I've done all the normal things, nothing works.

I think we are doomed, it is a Wisconsin tradition. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac2s7EoMwAc

Edited by Jerilyn
Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

my Rick has a regular harness because he goes batsh*t when he sees a squirrel -- I mean OUT OF CONTROL -- jumping, spinning, hitting into me (nearly knocking me over!).  Nothing has worked trying to change this behavior :(  He's super treat motivated but if there's a squirrel?  NOTHING gets thru to him.  I could be a giant piece of raw beef liver (his fave) and he'd only pay attention to the squirrel.  We've named him The Squirrminator. :blink:

he'd break his neck if we just had the usual collar (that were FINE for all our other hounds... <_< )

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

10 hours ago, RaineysMom said:

my Rick has a regular harness because he goes batsh*t when he sees a squirrel -- I mean OUT OF CONTROL -- jumping, spinning, hitting into me (nearly knocking me over!).  Nothing has worked trying to change this behavior :(  He's super treat motivated but if there's a squirrel?  NOTHING gets thru to him.  I could be a giant piece of raw beef liver (his fave) and he'd only pay attention to the squirrel.  We've named him The Squirrminator. :blink:

he'd break his neck if we just had the usual collar (that were FINE for all our other hounds... <_< )

What brand of harness do you have?  Does it fit him well?

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

I can't speak to whether it will help with jumping, but we got a Ruffwear harness (the Flagline) and our pup Baker likes it better than the other one we tried (the Freedom No-Pull Harness -- he refused to walk in it). Baker is on the bigger side (75lbs / chest a bit under 32") and the medium fits perfectly. It has a handle, which is great -- sometimes I'll put it on him even when I'm walking him by the collar just so I can grab the handle and keep him by my side if needed.

I also can’t speak for the jumping part, but we have a Ruffwear Flagline harness with the handle which I can use to manoeuvre my dog if I need to. I know that people feel that a harness may allow the dog to put all their strength into pulling you, but the flip side of that is that I am much more comfortable resisting with all my strength. I was always a bit worried when we just used the lead on the collar. I think it’s personal preference. But I don’t know of any harness that is specifically designed to prevent jumping up.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

18 hours ago, MerseyGrey said:

I also can’t speak for the jumping part, but we have a Ruffwear Flagline harness with the handle which I can use to manoeuvre my dog if I need to. I know that people feel that a harness may allow the dog to put all their strength into pulling you, but the flip side of that is that I am much more comfortable resisting with all my strength. I was always a bit worried when we just used the lead on the collar. I think it’s personal preference. But I don’t know of any harness that is specifically designed to prevent jumping up.

Yes, agreed! Ours has gotten better about not pulling on our regular walks but gets very excited and pulls much more when we bring him to new hiking trails, and I feel much more comfortable with him on the harness in those situations.