Separation Anxiety

Hello to everyone.

I am a former greyhound owner who had the wonderful opportunity to adopt two 3.5 year old retired racers.   They are recently adopted and I understand everything is new to them and it will take time to adjust to things.  When we are home there are zero issues and they couldn't be wonderful; however, when I leave the apartment one of them exhibits severe anxiety and will begin whining and howling almost immediately.    We have a crate that we use to try and reinforce it is his safe zone - I am leaving and exiting in short intervals - following all of the steps you read about and so far it does not seem to be working.   Granted I understand it may take time but just wanted to ask the group if they have any additional recommendations. 

Unless you are using the crate for safety reasons don't get hung up on using it unless the dogs uses it voluntarily.

Be consistent with how you leave them. I put my shoes and coat on without interacting with Grace, grab my keys, put a prefilled Kong on her bed saying "Goodbye, be good" and leave.

Also get yourself a cheap baby/pet webcam monitor so you can observe what the dogs are doing when you are properly out of sight and sound. I think they can sense when you are still nearby.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time