Tell me about high BNP levels

SWD

My 9-year-old greyhound just got diagnosed with a heart murmur that was a little difficult to detect and his BNP level is 2200. The vet said 900 is considered high and wants to do an EKG and x-ray to get more clarity on what's going on. 

Does anyone have experience with this? Advice? I'm so worried for him and he's terrified of the vet so I'd like to minimize his visits if at all possible. 

Sorry, just seeing this.

High BNP levels mean he has some elevated proteins (I think) that indicate his heart muscle is compromised in some way - even in greyhounds, who often have larger hearts than other breeds.  It's an indication of the state the actual muscle tissue, not just the organ.  Doing an ultra sound is the quickest, least invasive way to see the condition of his heart and evaluate what that issue is.  

If you've been feeding him a grain free diet, this could be a contributing factor (see Diet Related Cardio Myeopathy), and changing his food and beginning medications *may* resolve the issue. 

If he's been eating a grain inclusive diet, it could be congenital or age related, but the ultrasound is the place to begin.  Most times, medication will help stabilize the condition and they can live out a normal life and will pass from other conditions before the heart issues.

The US takes about 20 minutes, and no sedation is necessary.  The technician may be able to give you an initial reading, though they should be viewed by an expert too.  If your boy is super agitated, talk with your vet about giving him some anti anxiety meds at home prior to the exam, or some light sedation once he's at the clinic.  Due to the high volume of people needing USs, and the pandemic, it may take a while to get him scheduled in, so start now!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Is your vet greyhound-savvy?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

20 hours ago, macoduck said:

Is your vet greyhound-savvy?

Yes

23 hours ago, greysmom said:

...Doing an ultra sound is the quickest, least invasive way to see the condition of his heart and evaluate what that issue is.  

If you've been feeding him a grain free diet, this could be a contributing factor (see Diet Related Cardio Myeopathy), and changing his food and beginning medications *may* resolve the issue. 

He was grain-free for a couple of years, until the news about cardiomyopathy started circulating. We switched a couple of years ago back to chicken and rice formula. He's scheduled for an EKG next week.... that's not the same as an ultrasound, is it? The vet never mentioned US so now I'm not sure.

Thanks for responding! I'm so worried. 

EKG measures the electrical impulses - so will show how well the muscle is contracting.  Just like you see on TV medical shows!  Not the same as an US - which shoots sounds waves through the tissues to image them on a screen.  US should really be what you're doing, but they are *extremely* difficult to schedule right now due to high demand (and Covid, of course).  The EKG is still non-invasive and shouldn't need any sedation.  

They may want him to wear a "holter monitor"  Holter Monitor  which might be better for him since he's so anxious.

Did they check his taurine levels with the bloodwork??  Has he been on any medications or supplements since you switched foods??

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

1 hour ago, greysmom said:

EKG measures the electrical impulses - so will show how well the muscle is contracting.  Just like you see on TV medical shows!  Not the same as an US - which shoots sounds waves through the tissues to image them on a screen.  US should really be what you're doing, but they are *extremely* difficult to schedule right now due to high demand (and Covid, of course).  The EKG is still non-invasive and shouldn't need any sedation.  

They may want him to wear a "holter monitor"  Holter Monitor  which might be better for him since he's so anxious.

Did they check his taurine levels with the bloodwork??  Has he been on any medications or supplements since you switched foods??

Thanks so much for all the info! They didn't mention taurine levels so either they didn't check or they were normal. The only meds he's ever been on is heartwom prevention (Heartgard, TriHeart Plus) and a flea/tick preventive that we discontinued because we don't have much of a problem here and he seemed to react badly to it (head shaking seizures). I'll ask about the ultrasound.