Why are Brood Moms so desirable?

Hi, We have a wonderful 9 year old Brood Mom named Arrow. We've had her for 3 years and her personality is just the best - loving, easygoing, personable, active but not hyper. She won a lot of races and then had four litters of pups.

I recently told a grey enthusiast she was a brood mom, and she said they were the most desirable greys and had the best personalities. I am wondering why this is the case? Is it because they've had more domestic experiences prior to adoption? Is it because having pups chilled them out and made them more caring? Just curious...

Here at Camp Brrodie we think they are awesome!  Everything you described above is thereason, but most of all is the difference in personalities of each one.  

Petunia was the doting mother who knew where every puppy was at all times and was in control of EVERYTHING.  In this house, I was her puppy. :lol

Kate, on the other hand, was the mother who sat around all day in her curlers and pink fizzy slippers, and would send her kids to the corner store for whiskey and cigarettes. :rofl

We absolutely adored both of them and together they were awesome to be around.  Even with the difference in personalities, they took care of each other first and always. It was always fun to see them doing little things for each other. 

Hopefully we will have more broodies in this house when we are ready for another hound. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Best description ever!

"Kate, on the other hand, was the mother who sat around all day in her curlers and pink fizzy slippers, and would send her kids to the corner store for whiskey and cigarettes."

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My broodies have had a variety of personalities, but I think one thing they all had in common was confidence in who they were (queens of the universe, that would be :lol) My 90 lb hyper, leash aggressive issue boy could be calmed and quelled with one look. One broodie glance, not even a tiny growl, and it was “ma’am, yes ma’am, sorry ma’am, won’t happen again” :rotfl

29 minutes ago, Remolacha said:

My broodies have had a variety of personalities, but I think one thing they all had in common was confidence in who they were (queens of the universe, that would be :lol) My 90 lb hyper, leash aggressive issue boy could be calmed and quelled with one look. One broodie glance, not even a tiny growl, and it was “ma’am, yes ma’am, sorry ma’am, won’t happen again” :rotfl

The people across the street from us got an Aussie puppy 2 years ago. The puppy arrived within a few months of Petunia arriving here.  Petunia met the puppy the first time when it was only a few months old. She went right into momma mode and they had a great meeting.  It was a number of months before they saw each other again due to the summer heat. The next time they met, the puppy had become a wild child, and was not good at listening to anyone.  We were standing outside talking with the owners, and none of us saw what actually transpired, but we did see Petunia flash a look at the puppy that made the puppy lay down and not move or pull on the leash again.  We all busted out laughing. The neighbor's asked if they could borrow Petunia a minimum of 3 days a week. :lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

6 hours ago, Time4ANap said:

Kate, on the other hand, was the mother who sat around all day in her curlers and pink fizzy slippers, and would send her kids to the corner store for whiskey and cigarettes. :rofl

I have a picture of Edie like this. She wasn't a broodie but she was a character.

I've had a lot of broodies. My spec sheet eventually boiled down to (age) 10+, lots of litters, lots of puppies. I find broodies to be incredibly accommodating of their humans, perhaps because they've had so much handling. They also tend to remain playful as long as they're physically capable, perhaps because they spend months with their puppies. The more litters and puppies they've had, the sweeter they are. My oldest girl Opal (13+) isn't able to run any more, but she's incredibly social with both people and dogs, and bounces around like a youngster when she greets either. 

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

We only adopted 1 broodie, Katie, but she was so laid back, independent and did things on her own time schedule :lol 

She never caused any trouble, would wait patiently in line for her food and treats, but other than that, she was quite typical; loved ear rubs, belly rubs, sunshine, comfy pillows, other dogs and car rides. 

Sadly, we said goodbye on August 21, 2021, yet I wouldn’t hesitate to adopt another broodie because she was with us for 8 years.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

One broodie glance, not even a tiny growl, and it was “ma’am, yes ma’am, sorry ma’am, won’t happen again” 

:lol

ArrowOwner, based on these posts I must commend you.  Evidently Arrow thinks you don't need any further training.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• 3 weeks later...

I only fostered one broodie - and unlike most of my fosters - she walked in and OWNED the house.  My Pushy male that usually put fosters "in line" an "teaches the ropes" - no thank you.  She'd never been in a house before, settled on the couch in 5 minutes.  Time to trim nails - she laid on her back, on the couch, of course.  Odd things she'd never seen or experienced before - ok- I got this.   My young snarky female, that always had to be first - stepped back for "the lady".  Easiest foster ever.  

She went on to be adopted by a Baptist minister and his wife.  She attends services, and according to them, seems to seek out and sit quietly beside those who need her most.  She also attends children's church services, and is very well loved.  

On 9/30/2021 at 6:22 PM, Remolacha said:

Yes, this. I have never owned one, but I fostered one and she was amazing. I think I expected she would be bitchy or standoffish, but she was the sweetest dog. But if another dog was misbehaving she only need to give a little side eye. 

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• 2 months later...

We didn't know Sally had puppies when we first adopted her, but we found out later. I still want to travel so she can see some of them (some have been adopted close-ish to us). She's our first grey (and my first dog) so we don't have a lot of comparison, but she is great at communicating her boundaries (with dogs and humans) and she's made best friends with my sister's English lab (who's 3-4 years younger than her). He is the dominant one with his older brother (also an English lab) and doesn't always get along with other dogs, but with Sally he is so respectful and kind of waits on her cues. She's given him a growl or two to let him know what she's OK with, and he's shown her how to play a bit. I like to think it's a little bit of a mother-son relationship.