Wants to walk behind

He doesn't know you and is probably a little unsure of things. It's nice that he seems to be looking to you for guidance or reassurance. I don't think it's anything to worry about. It will likely change once he becomes more comfortable with you and his surroundings. 

Congratulations on adopting your new friend!

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Some dogs just don’t take treats when they’re on walks. Or it might be that he will take them when he’s a little more sure of himself. I wouldn’t worry about either of these things. I found with my dog, the more I tried, the more he seemed to resist. Let him come to you. Hopefully one day, when he’s at your side for every bag you rustle, you will look back wondering what happened to the dog that wouldn’t take treats

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Not taking a treat from a stranger or in a strange place is not unusual. Maybe put one on the ground to see if he'll take it that way.

My approach is just to take it easy in the early days. Be calm and show him that you're not worried about things and he'll feel the same way. Just let him hang out and get used to you and your home and routine. It's all new to him, it will take a little while for him to feel comfortable.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

When a new dog arrives here we try to give them space and let them explore as they want.  Most of them figure out that I'm a sucker and will give them whatever they want pretty quickly.  Remember that your greyhound has never been a pet before and doesn't know how to be one. He's going to take his clues from you as to what he's allowed to do, what he's not allowed to do, and help with establishing his routine.  These dogs are all about routine, so the more you can set a routine, the easier it will be for him to settle in.  Congratulations on your new pup. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

What the others said, plus, keep the leash short so he is close to you.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My late and very much missed Mindy always walked behind me on our walks.  While she loved her walks, I think she felt more protected that way--if a bigfoot should attack, it would get me first giving her more of a chance of getting away!  Her sister had to always be out in front, leading the way.  With her in front and Mindy in back leashes rarely got tangled!

As others have said, give him time to get used to you and his surroundings. Talk to him while you are walking so he gets used to your voice and it will also reassure him.

Grace wouldn't take treats when I first got her unless I put them in them in the palm of my hand and held it out flat.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Ditto what others have said. You could ask the adoption group for some tips. My grey is somewhat aloof. When he looks to me it's a communication that 'something' isn't OK in his world. With time and understanding, I've learnt what most of those 'somethings' might be. Often he just wants to turn for home, or pee on THAT bush, over there. :) 

I think he's just unsure and tentative about you. My girl hated to have anyone walking behind her when I first brought her home. Even now, after 5 years, she does not like people she doesn't know walking behind her.  On group walks we take up the rear.  She also would not take treats from my hand for quite a while after I brought her home.  She now takes them happily except for from a stranger.  

If everything else seems to make him a good match for you, I would just give him time and a lot of patience.