Grace minus one tooth. A warning to other owners

HeyRunDog

Grace has a low prey drive. She ignores cats on her walks and only looks with interest at squirrels in the park. She even wags her tail when she meets even small dogs ans spends most of the day laying on her bed under the front window watching the world go by.

Yesterday, as normal, she's "resting" on her bed when suddenly she gets up and despite her corns runs at speed through the open patio door down the garden chasing something. I chase after her in my socks shouting her name to no avail as she disappears behind the bushes at the end of the garden. She reappears looking sorry for herself with blood pouring from her mouth.

No she hadn't caught whatever she had been chasing but had knocked her top right canine tooth on the concrete marker post and it was hanging on by a thread. A wallet lightening £450 trip to the vets later and she's sleeping off the sedation. Mind you the vets did clean the rest of her teeth while she was under and clipped her nails.

It's a reminder that no matter how placid and how low a pry drive your greyhound has they are hunters and will chase with purpose anything that runs.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Ouch - that must have been quite a shock to both your systems, as well as your wallet!  Hope she is feeling fully recovered this morning.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Grace -- time to hunt ice cream!  

Yes, when they're running so fast, any collision will cause damage.  :(    Years ago, dear Nutmeg came in from the small backyard with the skin ripped off the top of one entire ear.  

450 pounds is a lot!  Oh, it included a nail trim.  That's ok then.  :lol  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

How scary for both of you! I hope she heals up quickly and easily. And that she learned her lesson.

The first time Wiki chased a rabbit in the yard she crashed into the fence. Luckily it was just chain link and had some give or we would have been in a similar situation. The urge to chase is strong!

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Poor Grace! I hope she feels better soon. Most of Buddy’s injuries are because he is so focused on the thing he wants, that he doesn’t see what’s immediately in front of him. It sounds like you might need to put padding around all the obstacles in your garden, just in case :(

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

My boy once hooked a canine on a wire in his crate. He panicked, jerked his head, and broke the tooth up by the gumline. Emergency surgery to remove the tooth, lots of swelling, soft food for two weeks, and now an eternal derp opportunity out the gap.

2017-10-30_01-38-08

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

G says canine toofers are overrated, as his are mostly stumps. I'm pretty sure it's from being put in a cage he did not want to be in.

Hope Grace is feeling better!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Update on Grace minus one tooth.

Grace thanks everyone for all the best wishes.

The power of a greyhound to recover still surprises me. A day later and she's eating her kibble with the same speed as ever and apart from an occasional extra bit of tongue action on that side of her mouth you wouldn't know anything had happened. Mind you the Loxicom (pain killer) might be helping :D. She's got to visit the vet again next week just to check there is no infection.

I think the cats in the neighbourhood can breath easily again as it seems as if it was a grey tree rat (squirrel) that cause the problem as the little :censored appeared at the same time again this morning.

My wallet has also recovered. I submitted the claim online that evening and the following morning at 11:30 am it was paid into my bank account :yay

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time