Dental Wipes

NeylasMom

Does anyone have a brand of dental wipes they like and can recommend? My wishlist is textured, some component to kill bacteria, minimal ingredients (would prefer no peppermint oil, etc), and made in the USA. Not too much to ask, right? :lol

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Hadn't even known these exist. Now I'm disappointed no one has responded. I've only seen toothbrushes. Have you tried any yet?

Though now I'm thinking of just cutting a small piece of microfiber to try as a reusable wipe. Could use one of the various liquids or pastes on it. Hmmm...

I ordered some that are arriving today or tomorrow. I'll report back although I imagine it will take some time before I know how well they work. 

Violet's dentist suggested them as an alternative to the water, which she's not a fan of. Violet's teeth are bad and she's 12 1/2 now. I've never been consistent with brushing because we both find it aversive. :lol This seems like it will be less painful for both of us so the hope is we can prevent her from needing any more dentals. :goodluck

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We use Vetradent

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update that I ended up ordering these dental wipes from Bluestem:

https://www.chewy.com/bluestem-oral-care-dental-dog-cat/dp/233920

I've been using them for a week or so (maybe a week and a half?) and I am already seeing noticeable improvement. There is actually tartar (or plaque?) visible on the wipes after I use them and Violet's canines especially are noticeably cleaner.

The dogs also don't mind them. I've been giving treats after wiping each section and gradually doing more teeth per treat. They actually line up when I pull the bottle out. :lol

Definitely recommend. 

6 hours ago, SWD said:

Did you ever try a finger brush (rubber thimble-lIke thing)? I'm curious about how these compare. 

I haven't. We did try brushing with a regular kids toothbrush, but basically we all found it aversive so I didn't keep it up. :lol The veterinary dentist suggested this as an alternative and I'm so glad she did!

22 hours ago, NeylasMom said:

Just a quick update that I ended up ordering these dental wipes from Bluestem:

https://www.chewy.com/bluestem-oral-care-dental-dog-cat/dp/233920

I've been using them for a week or so (maybe a week and a half?) and I am already seeing noticeable improvement. There is actually tartar (or plaque?) visible on the wipes after I use them and Violet's canines especially are noticeably cleaner.

The dogs also don't mind them. I've been giving treats after wiping each section and gradually doing more teeth per treat. They actually line up when I pull the bottle out. :lol

Definitely recommend. 

I'm so glad to learn about these! Will definitely give them a try. Sheba is almost 14 (Jan 23), and I'm going to skip her dental next spring because her hips are failing and I don't want her anaesthetized anymore. I use dental rinse, chews, and spray but haven't cleaned her teeth myself. Better late than never with these I suppose.

20 hours ago, SWD said:

Did you ever try a finger brush (rubber thimble-lIke thing)? I'm curious about how these compare. 

I haven’t tried the wipes yet, they are going on my next Chewy order, but I have tried the rubber finger thing. I have found that it was about as acceptable to the dogs as a toothbrush, and since none of mine were happy with the toothbrush, we never used it long enough to see if it worked.

10 hours ago, ShebasMom said:

I'm so glad to learn about these! Will definitely give them a try. Sheba is almost 14 (Jan 23), and I'm going to skip her dental next spring because her hips are failing and I don't want her anaesthetized anymore. I use dental rinse, chews, and spray but haven't cleaned her teeth myself. Better late than never with these I suppose.

That was basically my motivation as well. Violet has had horrible teeth, but this dental only required 1 extraction and the vet said her remaining teeth are in pretty good shape. Since Violet is 12 1/2 we're hoping to possibly avoid needing to sedate her for a dental again. My bank account would certainly appreciate it since her dentals run us around $3K each! :gmark

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 7:10 PM, Greylover97 said:

Can you do their entire mouth with one wipe?  

I actually cut them in half and do both dogs with one wipe. 

7 hours ago, NeylasMom said:

I actually cut them in half and do both dogs with one wipe. 

Awesome!  My boy has bad teeth and he’s awful when it comes to the toothbrush.  Him and I end up wearing toothpaste.  The wipes would be less messy. 

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

16 hours ago, Greylover97 said:

Awesome!  My boy has bad teeth and he’s awful when it comes to the toothbrush.  Him and I end up wearing toothpaste.  The wipes would be less messy. 

Ha, sounds like it's worth a shot. I am still loving them. The only issue I've encountered is it can be tough to get Skye's biggest bottom molars because they're covered when her mouth is clamped closed. :D Violet doesn't have those teeth anymore so no worries there lol. I'm going to have to start working on teaching Skye to hold her mouth open just so I can get those 2 teeth. But honestly, they're a godsend. I still give treats every time, but generally I do their mouths in thirds and they get a treat after each. 

8 hours ago, NeylasMom said:

Ha, sounds like it's worth a shot. I am still loving them. The only issue I've encountered is it can be tough to get Skye's biggest bottom molars because they're covered when her mouth is clamped closed. :D Violet doesn't have those teeth anymore so no worries there lol. I'm going to have to start working on teaching Skye to hold her mouth open just so I can get those 2 teeth. But honestly, they're a godsend. I still give treats every time, but generally I do their mouths in thirds and they get a treat after each. 

Skye sounds just like Rebel.  By the time I pry his mouth open the toothpaste is on me and not on the brush. He’s lost all his chewing molars and has a couple of premolars that are questionable.  Hopefully daily brushing will be enough to save them. 

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15