Sweep update: Amp on Monday

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

I haven't but that's a good thought. She didn't want buttered toast yesterday but maybe plain would appeal. She's a weirdo who won't eat saltines in the best of times, but it can't hurt to try.

I do think we're on the upswing, at least for today. She just had some Pediasure after another successful potty break. Fortunately she's got us trained where knot to stand now...

I think the Pediasure might help with nausea also.  Electrolytes being low will do weird things to your body so giving her that is a really good move.  I've used it for our dogs previously when they were a little off and I noticed they hadn't been drinking. It seems to put them back on track.  Sounds like she is starting to bounce back, for sure. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

She's made a lot of progress--I could see it as I caught up on the week. I hope she continues to improve, preferably at a faster pace.

Thanks for the pic. She looks fairly stoned. :lol: 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Does she have a fentanyl patch or oral pain meds???  Fentanyl can really mess them up, so you might talk with your surgeon about switching to oral, if so.

She looks loads better in that last pic!!!  :yay 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

11 hours ago, greysmom said:

Does she have a fentanyl patch or oral pain meds???  Fentanyl can really mess them up, so you might talk with your surgeon about switching to oral, if so.

She looks loads better in that last pic!!!  :yay 

She's on oral pain meds. She got a Fentanyl patch last weekend for the break and she had episodes of anxious panting, so we opted to ditch it post-surgery. They sent her home with Amicar, Gabapentin, and antibiotics, and we added Tramadol after a day because we weren't sure if the Gaba was enough (I know Tramadol's efficacy is debated but it does seem to help her sleep comfortably if nothing else). The surgeon wants us to hold off on Previcox while she's still getting Amicar, and I think we're on our last day. The improvement with Previcox after the initial break was night and day, so I'm hoping we see that again. 

Questions/observations for those who have been through this, particularly with seniors:

• She has started getting herself up when she has to pee. :clap Should we stop racing over to help or let her try? I wonder if we're hindering her some in our efforts to keep her from falling.
  • She pants A LOT during potty breaks. I know it's a workout for her, it's August in Tennessee, and she has mild LP on one side, but is this concerning? Not much panting at all while she's lying down—if we see it, it's usually when meds are due.
  • She has a sore on her tongue, which we assume is from the intubation or maybe she bit it in her initial wooziness. Maybe between that and probably a sore throat, it hurts to eat and this is causing some of the inappetence? We're not seeing the classic signs of nausea like lip licking or drooling. She also seems keener on cool, creamy things; the Pediasure has been a hit. It gives her paint peeling farts, but what can you do.

Overall, there's no question things are moving in the right direction, and we knew that between her age and the fact that she never stopped using the bad leg, this would be a slower road. We're all on this learning curve together. If we could just get her to eat consistently, I would feel so much better!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

So far today :yay 

Pediasure

Greek yogurt with honey and a little natural PB (anti-farts, please!)

Chicken and oatmeal with coconut water

A bite of liverwurst :sick

And after all that, a Previcox. Yes, I cheated on the schedule but I want to see how she does having an NSAID on board. Her incision has been dry and clean, and the bruising is under control.

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

That is all very good! :goodluck for more of the same.

Su has LP. Since it has gotten warm she usually just ambles slowly around the yard during potty breaks but at the end she does a very brief dash up the ramp and into the house. That leaves her panting and raspy sounding at first when inside. It seems to be the heat and humidity doing it.

PS Yuck, yucky, eeewwww, to the liverwurst. Ate it & liked it as a child. Can't even imagine why now. It's so gross. Same goes for Vienna sausages and bologna. Which also sometimes work for picky dogs.

1 - as long as she's not in danger of falling down from the meds, she needs to learn to manage on her own, so yes and no, depending.  ;) 

2 - You might consider a cooling mat for her, or a spritz with water and a fan, to better help her keep her temp under control until she's recovered.

3 - I would say yes.  Keep a close eye on it to make sure it's healing properly and keep her on softer foods.

:kiss2 for Sweep!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

This morning's update was so awesome to see!  Love that girl.  Keep being you, Sweep! 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thanks, Chris. 🙏 And thank you all for reading and being so supportive. 

I have good news: She is motoring on the Previcox! Next goal: poop.

Edited by ramonaghan

Poop IN the shoe, not only on the bottom! :hehe

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Hey, after Wednesday's blowout where her papa somehow got poop in his hair, we would be okay with poop foot.

Evening update: clean bowl!

049-AB21-C-28-C3-4-C6-F-93-A1-61-ECACFDF

Edited by ramonaghan
Ignore long nails. Picking our battles.

Oh wow! What a change in 24 hours. Clean bowl! Bright eyes!

Whether it's time, Previcox, or something else, she seems sooooo much better.

Go Sweep!

ETA: Noticed and wondered about the long nails, then saw your comment. Agreed re battle picking.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

58 minutes ago, GreyPoopon said:

ETA: Noticed and wondered about the long nails, then saw your comment. Agreed re battle picking.

I fully intended to ask the vet to trim them way back when she was under, but...my brain is mush these days and I forgot. 

Miss Sweep just took herownself all the way to the back door to go potty. Pretty sure I heard a "See ya later, suckers!"