Sweep update: Amp on Monday

2 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

You try it first and let me know if it works! :lol 

:rofl :rofl :rofl 

Rachel, our girl Beka had a front leg amputation so the limitations were a little different when it came to potty time, but it sounds like Sweep is doing really well since she is on post-op day 2.   Beka was a little loopy on her meds initially so the vet switched them out and she did better.   I also tried creative methods to get her to take her meds- the one that worked the best was Kaukauna cheese spread ( or any other brand).   It comes in a plastic container and is firm, spoons out and then I made a little ball around the pills.   I still use it today for Ivy's prescription meds too.

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Potomacpupsmom said:

:rofl :rofl :rofl 

Rachel, our girl Beka had a front leg amputation so the limitations were a little different when it came to potty time, but it sounds like Sweep is doing really well since she is on post-op day 2.   Beka was a little loopy on her meds initially so the vet switched them out and she did better.   I also tried creative methods to get her to take her meds- the one that worked the best was Kaukauna cheese spread ( or any other brand).   It comes in a plastic container and is firm, spoons out and then I made a little ball around the pills.   I still use it today for Ivy's prescription meds too.

Thanks, Kathy, I will keep that in mind! This girl loves cheese usually.

Unfortunately the antibiotics resulted in a massive bile barf, and when we were moving her to a clean bed bc of that, a poo-splosion. It was scary and stressful for everyone, but she's asleep now. Her breathing is a bit rapid but the evet says as long as her gums aren't blueish, she's okay--probably just feeling really punk. No more antibiotics until she's back to eating full meals. Her papa is out getting her some Cerenia and we'll get some metronidazole on board too once she's awake.

<deep breaths>

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

This is the "OMG Where has this been all my life" food in this house when they don't feel good or don't want to eat. This food is also good for making a "pill meatball." 

https://evangersdogfood.com/product/50099/

Also note that you can get the cheeseburgers from McDonalds ahead of time and just refrigerate them.  They reheat just fine and probably don't even need to be reheated for them to be a hit.  Just be sure to ask for them plain so there are no onions on them .

I'm so glad that her first night at home was way better than it could have been.  Once that anesthesia is out of her system I'm sure she will bounce right back. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

On 8/24/2021 at 9:20 PM, ramonaghan said:

Who had "pee on husband's bare foot" on their bingo card?

:lol  Sorry about that, but it still made me laugh. We've gone through the very unpleasant combo of pee accidents and yuckiness coming from both ends, all at the same time. It is very difficult and that was with dogs standing on all four.

Hang in there. Things will improve. It won't feel quick enough, but it will get better soon.

Just remember to breath, and do the next thing, one thing at a time.  It will get better, and Sweep will get better, and this two weeks will be behind you!

Small (small, small - like a spoonful or two) amounts of food given more often helps with nausea.  Very bland and not highly smelly.  Dude would only eat off a paper plate with the food all spread out so he could lick up minute amounts at a time, in the beginning.  :rolleyes: 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We had a better night. We all slept pretty well. Still not interested in burgers or canned food (Don, I will get some Evangers—we tried Merrick's Grammy's Pot Pie on Jan's recommendation but still no dice). She drank a little oat milk this morning, which she's used to drinking from my cereal. She rejected an Egg McMuffin and liverwurst (can't blame her :puke) but eventually ate some plain chicken. :yay Not enough for antibiotics, but at least she has some calories in her. She also had the best potty break yet, walking mostly under her own steam. Still sways like a drunken sailor but it's progress and we'll take it. She crashed hard after that and is asleep again. We'll try more chicken later. :goodluck 

Thank you!

Edited by ramonaghan

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

:pepper Yay for a good night! And a little chicken! Can’t remember if you have tried chicken baby food, but that usually goes down well. As long as she is drinking, missing a few meals won’t hurt her, although it is very hard on you :grouphug

Before you know it she will be running around so well you won’t even notice she only has three legs and playing the “I just had surgery you know” card for treats :lol

Tried some chicken pot pie baby food and she wouldn't eat it plain, but then I mixed some pureed boiled chicken with it and warmed it up and she ate some. She's also had a little bit of Pediasure. Sloooowwly but surely we're getting there. I really do not want to have to take her in for a Cerenia shot or fluids, so I hope we're turning the corner appetite-wise. :hope 

Just now, ramonaghan said:

Tried some chicken pot pie baby food and she wouldn't eat it plain, but then I mixed some pureed boiled chicken with it and warmed it up and she ate some. She's also had a little bit of Pediasure. Sloooowwly but surely we're getting there. I really do not want to have to take her in for a Cerenia shot or fluids, so I hope we're turning the corner appetite-wise. :hope 

Cerenia is available in pill form.

1 hour ago, Beachbum1 said:

Cerenia is available in pill form.

We have the pills and she's been getting them—but after chemo she's needed an injection in addition to the pills. Seems more effective for her.

When Hada had her stroke she wouldn't eat. Vet said it was due to nausea and suggested Meclizine 12.5mg. It's actually plain old, and cheaper, Dramamine. It worked!

Eat, Sweep-y, eat! 

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Good morning! Another mostly restful night...she seems quite comfortable as long as she is horizontal. (We've even had some dream wagging. :wub: ) We had a thunderstorm around 7 p.m. and learned that she can in fact get up riteawaykwik when properly motivated. Poor thing. Fortunately it was only a brief storm.

No luck with brekkie yet but we'll try when she's more awake. Thank you for checking on her!

She just ate a good portion of chicken and oatmeal made with coconut water. She probably would have eaten more, but I didn't want to overdo it. I could cry with relief.

Wonderful!! :yay  Don't be upset if she has another setback in the eating department. That seems common with mine during recovery from illness or surgery. It is clear her appetite is starting to return and you will have more successes even if some more meals are missed.

Good girl Sweep :kiss2

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Aww, love the little front teefies! :heart

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

There's that pretty girl! Looking great, Sweep. 

Glad she is starting to eat a little.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried an appetizer of some saltines or dry white toast maybe a half hour before feeding? Might help with the nausea if she eats something bland like that before eating other food. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

19 minutes ago, Time4ANap said:

Just out of curiosity, have you tried an appetizer of some saltines or dry white toast maybe a half hour before feeding? Might help with the nausea if she eats something bland like that before eating other food. 

I haven't but that's a good thought. She didn't want buttered toast yesterday but maybe plain would appeal. She's a weirdo who won't eat saltines in the best of times, but it can't hurt to try.

I do think we're on the upswing, at least for today. She just had some Pediasure after another successful potty break. Fortunately she's got us trained where knot to stand now...