Sweep update: Amp on Monday

1 minute ago, Potomacpupsmom said:

Rachel, just remember that the first two weeks are REALLY difficult, and then she will turn the corner and slowly return to her normal self.   Sending :grouphug to you and Sweep!

Thank you. :heart I'm trying to remember that her March surgery wasn't a walk in the park either, but we got through it. As soon as she was off the heavy drugs, she was so much better. 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A harness might work better for her than a sling since she can just keep it on 24/7.  Especially something like the RuffWear one.  There's less fussing when she needs help moving around and the handle is always there for grabbing.

{{{hugs}}} 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

1 minute ago, greysmom said:

A harness might work better for her than a sling since she can just keep it on 24/7.  Especially something like the RuffWear one.  There's less fussing when she needs help moving around and the handle is always there for grabbing.

{{{hugs}}} 

Thanks, Chris! RuffWear Web Master is en route, should be here tomorrow. I ordered it this weekend thinking we'd have two hospital nights and it would be right on time. We'll have to make do with her Help 'Em Up or 2Hounds harness in the meantime. 

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

If those harness options don't work well for Sweep, I'd be so glad to send the harness that has seen both MoMo and Spirit through being helped and supported.  It is a soft fabric harness that can be comfortably worn 24/7.  It should be fine with a rear lag amputation.  PM if you'd like it.

Harness

Edited by LBass

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

12 minutes ago, LBass said:

If those harness options don't work out, I'd be so glad to send the harness that has seen both MoMo and Spirit through being helped and supported.  It is a soft fabric harness that can be comfortably worn 24/7.  It should be fine with a rear lag amputation.  PM if you need it. 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/godsgreyts

Harness

Lucy, that is so kind of you, thank you. I will let you know how we do.

We are home and she is sleeping comfortably. She was hopping a little when they brought her out (progress), and they said she seemed happier once she realized she was going home. Getting her out of the car and into the house was a good workout; she is definitely going to need some time to find her sea legs. Didn't want to eat or drink, but she drank a bit for them and I am not too worried.

Her incision looks so much better than the first surgery, not nearly as much bruising. We were prepared to be shocked but didn't expect it to be in the good way. We know we have a rough road ahead but are feeling at peace with everything right now. Thank you all. I'll keep the updates coming.

This sounds so encouraging! We’ll be thinking of all of you and hope Sweep’s first overnight at home in her own bed is as quiet and comfy as possible.

You’ve got this :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Doin' it right, Sweep!:yay

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

2 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

Who had "pee on husband's bare foot" on their bingo card?

You go, Sweep! :beatheart  Your Daddyman doesn't care about that.

Feel better riteawayquik! 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

10 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

Love that her sense of humor hasn’t been affected :lol 

Sweep :kiss2 How are you doing this morning? 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Good morning, Sweep & Co.!

"Given that the urea in urine breaks down into ammonia, urine has been used for cleaning. In pre-industrial times, urine was used – in the form of lant or aged urine – as a cleaning fluid. Urine was also used for whitening teeth in Ancient Rome."

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

She's not subtle. I too have been inducted into the "peed upon" club. Who knew that all this time the back right leg was a pee shield.

Up and down night, predictably. She seems comfortable overall but gets very anxious when she has to pee. We got her up at midnight and she didn't make it to the back door. (Hooray for washable rugs!) At 4, when she was due for Amicar and Gaba, we had better luck except for my wet foot. We made it out this morning without anyone getting peed upon. We will take the victories no matter how small. 

She is knuckling under quite a bit with her remaining legs, especially the back, which I think is probably drugs. Has anyone else seen this in their post-amp hound? This is new behavior so I'm not concerned about anything neurological, but I don't want her hurting herself. She is drinking very well and ate a little bit of deli chicken this morning. That's the biggest challenge right now--getting her to eat enough that the antibiotics won't bother her belly.

I agree.  She's doing fine.  Keep her to her schedule as much as possible and encourage her to eat with some tasty treats.  We fed Dude his pills in McD's cheeseburgers for a week after he came home.  I'm sure the drive thru workers thought we were crazy!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

4 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

"Given that the urea in urine breaks down into ammonia, urine has been used for cleaning. In pre-industrial times, urine was used – in the form of lant or aged urine – as a cleaning fluid. Urine was also used for whitening teeth in Ancient Rome."

You try it first and let me know if it works! :lol