Sweep update: Amp on Monday

Well, friends, the time has come. At her third chemo treatment on the 9th, the oncologist told us her back right leg was looking more lytic and if it hadn't already broken it likely would now. And then it happened: last night (always weekends, you know), jumping into the car to go pick up dinner, she broke the damn leg again. Bent the metal plate and broke the tibia and fibula.

We have no other option but to amputate if we want to keep treating her. Chest rads are clear and there's no change to the lump on front wrist, so this is what they recommend. She is still so very much Sweep that we have to try. She's home with us now because the ICU is full, so they sent her home with a fentanyl patch and a splint. Check out her cast art from the e-vet staff.

7918-B03-A-68-E6-4214-BF05-9641-C174-F86

We drop her off Monday morning for the amputation. Good thoughts are appreciated.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hugs, just hugs and as much healing vibe power as we can possibly send. :grouphug

Special hugs from A-14.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

:(  sending many, many hugs! :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

#@*&% cancer.

Is the fentanyl patch doing its job?  Is the splint enough so that you can support her getting up and out to pee/poop, or is she going on a pad?  Full ICU is scary but even though it's so much work, I'm sure you prefer that to having her at the vet's over the weekend.

Kisses to Sweep's sweet nose.

It took me a minute to figure out the artwork.  But how clever!  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Sweep! :beatheart:beatheart:beatheart

Paws crossed here!  Please give that girl some ear rubs for us. 

Petunia will be doing the backandforth backandforth waiting for an update on Monday. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

:hope  :hope  :hope  

Sending all the positive thoughts and good vibes we have to you and Sweep for Monday!!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

:hope     Sweep  :kiss2

:bighug to all

Love the clever bandage artwork :thumbs-up

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Thank you, everyone. We are feeling the love and it's very much appreciated. 

Sweep is floating on a fentanyl cloud and seems comfortable. There are occasional bouts of panting, but I think that's probably the meds more than anything. She ate her full breakfast in bed but so far is snoozing through dinner time, which is okay with me. Potty breaks aren't much fun for any of us, but I don't think she'd use a pad. Today I scored some cheap non-slip rugs and yoga mats at TJ Maxx, bought some tempting foods at Petsmart, and set up her "pup tent" (soft crate) again, so we're as ready as we'll ever be.

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

I'm sending all the hugs and positive thoughts in my possession. You and Sweep are troopers/

I love the cast art. It's very clever and a really nice gesture.

It's good that Sweep seems relatively comfortable. I hope she remains so until Monday.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Sweep, we will have everything x'd over here for a smooth surgery and recovery. :heart

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I'm so sorry you and Sweep are facing the amputation but it sounds like she's got the personality and attitude to deal with that. :grouphug  Best thoughts and prayers for Monday's surgery and for a swift, easy revcovery.

The e-vet art work on that cast is delightful!  What a thoughtful, caring, creative thing to do. :heart

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Crossing everything here in ND and preparing for a bakandforthbakandforthbakandforth tomorrow.  Linus is assuming the waiting room has a nice tall cabinet he can hang out on just in case some buddy gets all excited and forgets kittehs are frens and knot fuds. 

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

We will be backandforfandbackandforf-ing for Sweep tomorrow!   With her personality, she should be able to manage this quite well.   Remember the first two weeks are the hardest!  I am speaking from experience.

The cast art is adorable! :heart 

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

9 minutes ago, Beachbum1 said:

Has Amicar been started?

Not yet. I know they keep it on hand though, because she got it for the original repair surgery at the same specialty clinic. I will be sure to ask when we take her in the morning (we're on a drop-off basis, so we don't have a specific surgery time, unfortunately). She did have a lot of bruising and some edema after the first surgery.

Hoping all goes well today and will keep Sweep in our thoughts.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Thinking of you and Sweep today, and know he is getting the best of care.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png