What % Protein is Best?

phall

I'm in the process of switching my female greyhound, Sox, off of her prescription food. (I know this needs to be done slowly.)  She's been on a veterinarian prescribed urinary diet for some bladder issues, which look to be resolved (based on ultrasound and bloodwork).  I was going to switch her back to her previous food, which she did well on, but noticed that the % of protein on that food seems high - 28%. 

What is a good amount of protein in dry and canned dog food for greyhounds? 

(Sox is 7 years old.  Plus she has sensitivity to chicken based food so I have to be careful on what I transition her to.)

A good protein percentage is really just the one your dog does best with.  But - in general - greyhounds seem to do better (defined as better stools, less gass, easily holding weight and energy) on somewhere around 20%.   Too high and they can knock you out of the house with gas emissions.  Too low and their not getting good nutrition.  If you have a typical companion dog laying around the house, something on the lower-ish end should be fine.  If your doing work or training or some sort of amateur competition, something towards the high end-ish.

That being said, we're on Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach Salmon (no chicken!) for kibble.  My couch anchors just play in the yard, and it's 28% protein.  We are all doing brilliantly on it (plus Olewho carrots once a day as we need some added fiber).  So there is some wiggle room.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I agree with greysmom, up to 20% is the usual amount, 28% plus is for when they are still racing. The Greyhound Trust Coventry branch has a clear feeding guide http://www.greyhoundtrustcoventry.co.uk/page3/page14/index.html

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time