I've made a website!

I've been having a bit of professional crisis this past year which has prompted me to think about whether I want to spend my remaining years at work in a job that I have grown to despise. One of the things I considered was trying to make money from a blog so after owning the domain name for nearly two months...here it is!

- Walks with my Greyhound

Now, it's a bit niche (you probably need to have an old greyhound and live in the north west of England to get anything from this) so it's not going to get too many visitors and it's definitely not going to be my new career as putting this together has been one of the most difficult and frustrating things I've ever done. But now it's up and running I think I'm going to enjoy adding walks on there. We have a couple of holidays coming up so we can go a bit further afield but in case anyone wants to take a peek and let me know if you enjoy the photos I would love to hear from you.

There are no adverts on here, it's just for fun. And now I'm off to have another think about a career change...

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

:clap Looks fab! You did a great job with a challenging project. I hope this success helps inspire you on your next journey! It will be fun to follow along and dream from over here on the other side of The Pond. 

Buddy, did you sign a waiver?? :lol

:wub:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

What a good idea! And the photos both of the walks and of Buddy are lovely. I wish you much fun and lots of success with this project :)

It is nice and practical too, with the information about steps, loos, route lengths etc. The only suggestion I'd make is that it'd be nice to have the map show the walking route as well as the location. This *is* possible to do, using Google My Maps - not sure about Mapbox.

Edited by DocsDoctor
correction

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

2 hours ago, DocsDoctor said:

What a good idea! And the photos both of the walks and of Buddy are lovely. I wish you much fun and lots of success with this project :)

It is nice and practical too, with the information about steps, loos, route lengths etc. The only suggestion I'd make is that it'd be nice to have the map show the walking route as well as the location. This *is* possible to do, using Google My Maps - not sure about Mapbox.

Thanks for the tip - I have really struggled to navigate my way around all the plug-ins so I will have a look for this, because I agree it would be more useful. I have the OS maps app but don’t think I can pilfer the info from there without a legal challenge!

1 hour ago, EllenEveBaz said:

How beautiful!  

And I'm sorry you're in a job you hate.  

Thank you, and thank you. We have a saying over here, ‘sh*t or sugar’ and thanks a bit how I am about work. And I’m currently in a long sh*t phase :lol. When I was young I thought I’d always want to work. Now I find what I really want is a terminally ill, rich, blind man who likes his ladies with a bit of meat on their bones. I suppose a girl can dream…

1 hour ago, Time4ANap said:

Nice.  Buddy models like a pro. 

He does, when I can get him to!

Thank you all for your feedback, it’s much appreciated!

Very nice, I always love when you Brits post pictures of your walks, you have such great places to go! I like the pictures in your blog, even the ones without Buddy :D and I like the useful info in the descriptions, like how hard/easy the stairs are, where the “facilities” are located, all very helpful.

I like the photos and descriptions of your walks. I wish I had an area like those near me.

I did have a very hard time reading because of the color of the text on the background colors.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

3 hours ago, Remolacha said:

Very nice, I always love when you Brits post pictures of your walks, you have such great places to go! I like the pictures in your blog, even the ones without Buddy :D and I like the useful info in the descriptions, like how hard/easy the stairs are, where the “facilities” are located, all very helpful.

48 minutes ago, macoduck said:

I like the photos and descriptions of your walks. I wish I had an area like those near me.

I did have a very hard time reading because of the color of the text on the background colors.

Thank you both. Dan said the same thing about the text colour so I made the font bigger, but maybe I just need to change the font to a more solid type. I will look into it, thank you

Nice website! One question: why are you using miles? Not that I'm complaining, being an American myself "miles" sounds perfectly correct :-)  but I thought England shifted to kilometers quite a while back? BTW, I use MapMyRun (even though I'm usually walking), and that and a number of other apps will give actual distance and time info, and a map of the walk. I think most of them provide some mechanism for downloading the map to your PC, or at worst you can take a screenshot on your phone and download that screenshot image.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

7 hours ago, rsieg said:

Nice website! One question: why are you using miles? Not that I'm complaining, being an American myself "miles" sounds perfectly correct :-)  but I thought England shifted to kilometers quite a while back? BTW, I use MapMyRun (even though I'm usually walking), and that and a number of other apps will give actual distance and time info, and a map of the walk. I think most of them provide some mechanism for downloading the map to your PC, or at worst you can take a screenshot on your phone and download that screenshot image.

Thank you! No, we Brits still usually measure distance in miles - when we went metric, some things were too sacred to change. For smaller measurements I can use imperial and metric interchangeably and often switch between the two, but NEVER when describing the same subject :shakefinger.

I have used an app to get the distances and time but find they are rarely accurate when walking with Buddy, depending on what kind of mood he’s in for walking. Sometimes he will power round the circuit like a steam train and some days he wants to sniff. Every. Blade. Of. Grass. I have thought about using that app and embedding it in the webpage but think I might fall foul of copyright laws but I can investigate that as it’s a good app.

Nice website. I do the website for my local theatre group, although after tonight's AGM it might not be needed any more (another victim of COVID?) and I know how frustrating it is, but I do agree with macoduck, perhaps if you made the background darker so increasing the contrast between it and the lettering?

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

What a great project!  I love the descriptions and the lovely photos.  I've subscribed to follow your walks with Buddy even though I'll only be able to yearn to follow in your footsteps/pawprints. 

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I've subscribed to follow your walks with Buddy even though I'll only be able to yearn to follow in your footsteps/pawprints. 

Me, too.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

9 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

Nice website. I do the website for my local theatre group, although after tonight's AGM it might not be needed any more (another victim of COVID?) and I know how frustrating it is, but I do agree with macoduck, perhaps if you made the background darker so increasing the contrast between it and the lettering?

I’m going to have a go at that this evening, thank you

4 hours ago, LBass said:

What a great project!  I love the descriptions and the lovely photos.  I've subscribed to follow your walks with Buddy even though I'll only be able to yearn to follow in your footsteps/pawprints. 

3 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Me, too.  

thank you! I wasn’t expecting any subscribers so that’s wonderful. I’ll make sure I get some good photos when I’m on holiday next week.

1 hour ago, racindog said:

Very nice! Greyt pics!

thank you

The darker blue background now makes it easier to read, but the text lettering not being "solid" still gives me trouble. I have double vision in one eye so I have to concentrate and read your posts slowly.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

On 8/12/2021 at 2:43 AM, teri_d said:

Lovely!  Just lovely…..both handsome buddy and the walks too.   Congrats on a wonderful website.

Thank you!

On 8/12/2021 at 11:37 AM, macoduck said:

The darker blue background now makes it easier to read, but the text lettering not being "solid" still gives me trouble. I have double vision in one eye so I have to concentrate and read your posts slowly.

argh, I hoped that the colour contrast would be enough because I love that font but nevermind! I am on holiday at the moment (doing more walks too!) and didn’t bring my laptop so I will have another look at it when I add the next walks. Thanks for the feedback

Background is fine but the typeface has to go! 😳 For me it moves/crawls around while I'm reading. Most disconcerting. Scritches to Buddy please and keep on walkin'. 

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

7 hours ago, Patsy said:

Background is fine but the typeface has to go! 😳 For me it moves/crawls around while I'm reading. Most disconcerting. Scritches to Buddy please and keep on walkin'. 

Ok I hear you! :D I will correct it as soon as I add the next walk. Thanks for the feedback

Or you could keep the typeface for the headline, then a solid for your story.

tiny hada siggy.png

1 hour ago, macoduck said:

Or you could keep the typeface for the headline, then a solid for your story.

Yes, I think this is what I’m going to do

Also, some posts from our holiday on the Isles of Scilly :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSithUeqzdf/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSkVAqJqwXC/?utm_medium=copy_link