Affordable canned food suggestions?

Val feels the same way about veggies :lol I have learned that anything that has visible pieces of carrot, potato, peas, anything like that, will be rejected :rolleyes: She is now off duck, kicked chicken to the curb months ago, and never much liked turkey. Lamb is good for now, we’ll see how long that lasts. I feel for you and hope you have better luck than I have had!

• 1 month later...

Val, quit sending ideas to Su. Stop it now!  Lamb is now on Su's "meh" list. This girl is currently downstairs whining. BF says, "Su's by her bowl, crying." The bowl is full of a food she had previously loved. Previously...  Oh my girl. She's running the show now. I just want to find something healthy she'll eat consistently, enough to maintain weight. At this point it doesn't matter if it's expensive. Oh, and still no Dave's in our general vicinity. It's supposedly available, but nothing on the shelves. :(

There is a food she consistently adores, "Only Natural Pet MaxMeat". It is a dehydrated food, high in protein content at 35%. That concerns me when it looks like she might be starting with chronic renal failure. So until her next recheck I'm not feeding it as full meals. We'll be having a long feeding conversation then. If they suggest renal food I'll happily give it a try even if we need to pull out the Entyce to get her to eat it.

[I'm basically just venting right now. But still very open to suggestions.]

If you want, I can send you a few cans of Dave's. 

Maybe some of the gravy pouches they sell for cats? I never knew a dog that didn't want to eat cat food! :lol

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I apologize on Val’s behalf (because she sure won’t :lol) Maybe you can mix some of the dehydrated food she really likes with some of the stuff she’ll sort of eat? Or sprinkle it on top? 

And I second trying the cat food, especially fish flavor if she’ll eat fish, it is the stinkiest. I was told by one vet that one reason old dogs and cats start to loose interest in their food is that their sense of smell starts to go and if they can’t smell the food, they don’t want to eat it. Makes sense to me.

She does like some canned cat food. And I give her that sometimes. Normally the canned cat food around here is for the skink, but he only eats a tiny bit per can. Su is often happy to finish that off. (We have cats, but canned foods make Tasty Kitty puke. An unpleasant experience for all.) Well worth the try of serving entire meals of the stuff to see if it works. Sometimes one meal of "super yum" seems to prime her appetite, except when it doesn't. :lol  Bless her picky little heart.

Val's apology by proxy is courteously accepted. Mixing the dehydrated food with the "meh" foods or even the "I loved it yesterday, but..." foods is a hit or miss effort. Seems more often than not it serves to disgust her even more. I can only guess it would be like someone who really knew me adding broccoli to my favorite meal. I would be disappointed, disgusted and insulted all at once. (Bless my picky little heart :flip )

I haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if this has been suggested, but canned tripe is irresistible to hounds here, even those a bit under the weather.  And being as . . .  aromatic . . . as it is, you don't need to add a lot to their meal to make it appetizing.   Keeps well, well covered in the fridge, and does not need to be heated to be appealing, which is a very good thing : )

We get Tripett, but there may be other brands.