Soft Treats; Update!

After his dental last Friday, Aiden is still on a soft diet and until today I was struggling to find appropriate treats. I whipped up these noms and he loves them:

1-1/2 c oat flour (we grind our oats)

~3T peanut butter

~2-3 T honey

The mixture is initially coarse but comes together nicely and then shapes into bite-sized pieces. Success :chow

Update: We've baked a batch of another fine soft treat that was originally posted by another GT'er back in 2013. It freezes very well and, as the recipe says, the yield is "a ton of treats" :lol

Tuna Fudge

2-6 oz cans tuna in water, undrained

2 eggs

1-1/2 c AP flour

1/4 c Parmesan cheese

Mix all ingredients and pat into a greased (sprayed) 9x13" pan. Bake at 350F for 20-22'. Let pan cool on rack. Cut into strips, then into fine dice. Excellent for hounds recovering from dentals or for when your hound panics after the Annual Corn Cannon Season begins. Thank you Dopey Neighbors :withstupid

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

58 minutes ago, Remolacha said:

Sounds nom, I would eat that :lol

Me too. Especially with a some raisins mixed in and a coating of chocolate.

Ooops! They were supposed to be for greyhounds, better leave out the raisins and chocolate then :sad1

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

5 hours ago, Remolacha said:

Sounds nom, I would eat that :lol

4 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

Me too. Especially with a some raisins mixed in and a coating of chocolate.

Ooops! They were supposed to be for greyhounds, better leave out the raisins and chocolate then :sad1

TBH :blush I kept a portion for myself and added mini chocolate chips. Double success :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Aiden is a lucky dog! Homemade treats! Quite a delicacy :chow Generally speaking nobody (not even me) gets anything homemade at our house.  All store bought stuff. The only saving grace is that they are raw fed and my processed food is so UNappetizing I don't eat enough of it to get fat hehe. 

7 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

TBH :blush I kept a portion for myself and added mini chocolate chips. Double success :lol

Chocolate chips... just what I was thinking :D

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

33 minutes ago, MerseyGrey said:

I have a recipe like this but with rolled oats instead of flour and they are very tasty!

Hmm, so I could save the step of pulverizing the rolled oats into flour and instead just use them whole?

Buddy, yay you!! :chow

7 minutes ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Hmm, so I could save the step of pulverizing the rolled oats into flour and instead just use them whole?

Buddy, yay you!! :chow

I’ve just looked up my recipe which does have flour (self raising flour) but oat flour is probably much better. It also doesn’t have PB so I think I am borrowing from other recipes and mixing them into one! In case you would like it, the recipe is:

140g SR flour

113g rolled oats

28g desiccated coconut

113g margarine

2tbsp honey

1tsp bicarbonate of soda

1tbsp milk 

(oh dear this recipe is nothing like yours!)

method: preheat the oven to 180c/350f. combine the dry ingredients. Melt the margarine with the honey and remove from the heat. Mix the milk and bicarb soda and add to the honey mix. Stir into the dry ingredients and mix completely. Leave to stand for 15 mins. Bake in preheated oven. Divide into balls, bake on a baking tray and when done, turn off the oven, open the door to release steam, then keep in the oven to allow the heat to dry them out (if you skip this step they will stay softer). They can be frozen.

this should make about 30

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

7 minutes ago, MerseyGrey said:

I’ve just looked up my recipe which does have flour (self raising flour) but oat flour is probably much better. It also doesn’t have PB so I think I am borrowing from other recipes and mixing them into one! In case you would like it, the recipe is:

140g SR flour

113g rolled oats

28g desiccated coconut

113g margarine

2tbsp honey

1tsp bicarbonate of soda

1tbsp milk 

(oh dear this recipe is nothing like yours!)

method: preheat the oven to 180c/350f. combine the dry ingredients. Melt the margarine with the honey and remove from the heat. Mix the milk and bicarb soda and add to the honey mix. Stir into the dry ingredients and mix completely. Leave to stand for 15 mins. Bake in preheated oven. Divide into balls, bake on a baking tray and when done, turn off the oven, open the door to release steam, then keep in the oven to allow the heat to dry them out (if you skip this step they will stay softer). They can be frozen.

this should make about 30

Thank you for your recipe, those sound delish! It is still far too hot here to turn on the oven but we will try these once decent weather returns :thumbs-up

Your clever recipe is similar to the core of Kraft's pb balls/bites recipes. Here's one link:

https://www.kraftcanada.ca/recipe/crunchy-chocolate-chip-peanut-butter-snack-bites-177645

The core of the recipe (rolled oats, honey, pb) is very tolerant of different add-ins. Baking isn't necessary but refrigeration (or even freezing) helps, especially if one drops the honey, as I did for myownself.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I make protein balls all of the time for me…I never thought of sharing. :colgate

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

when Rick had 6 teeth pulled back in December, he was also on soft food for 2 weeks - I bought the small marshmallows and he loved them!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Updated post #1.

The tuna treats are an excellent choice too. They freeze well and can be thawed quickly.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

In the tuna treats recipe, when you say "fine dice", exactly how small do you dice them? 

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Tuna Fudge

I'm sorry, but I just can't get past the name  :sick

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

2 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Top with a bit of cheddar and call it Tuna Melt :D

Fine dice = whatever size pieces as you will want to offer. I cut them very small as they are training treats.

On 7/30/2021 at 8:28 AM, EllenEveBaz said:

Ha!   I make my girls Liver Brownies.......

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.