Introducing 2 greys

Hello,

I have just adopted a retired greyhound. My partner also adopted a retired greyhound from the same kennel. The dogs know each other but when we tried to reintroduce them in my backyard they were both scared. He had his ears flat back and tail between his legs, she would growl and bark anytime he was near. I got them comfortable enough with each other outside but then when we came inside they were both crated (she has to be because she is healing from major surgery) to be fair, but any time he moved or cried she would growl and bark. So my partner and his hound left. My girl kept crying and pacing so I took her outside and she paced around and peed everywhere he had been.

We are going to try again today. They will both be muzzled and we can't take them for a long walk because she is on restricted movement. Does anyone have any tips and advice?

Thank you. 

She is probably being very defensive because she's feeling particularly vulnerable after her surgery and both of them have been thrown into a strange new world totally different to what they are used to. Give them both time to get used to their new lives and for her to recover from the surgery then let them meet outside on neutral ground until they get used to each other.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Yup, what HeyRunDog said.

She also probably still smells different after surgery (vet surgery smells and hormones) but gradually that will go away. Leash walk them both in the yard, with space in between them, not forcing any closeness, or with one following the other.

My females have always been bossier than my males.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png