what gets rid of flies???? AUGH

hope to get some good suggestions.  Our new boy Rick is HORRIFIC with flies!  Our angel Larry was bad (scared of them) but Rick is leaving him in the dust.  They bother him SO much.  The worst part is that he will go after them and ram his mouth/nose into our sliding glass door or front glass door trying to get them and I fear he will really hurt himself.  Even worse is the flies tend to want to hang our on the window screens (our screens are on the inside then the window cranks out).  We have mini blinds on every window and I really worry he will get caught up in them and hang or strangle himself trying to get them off the screen if we were not here!

and they just show up in droves - like yesterday, there wasn't a single one in the house all day until like 3pm (we did just come in from a walk but the door was only open for 1.5 seconds) and in minutes there were literally 25 flies all OVER.  All different sizes so it's not like they just hatched somewhere in the house!  Really weird.

does anyone know what *really* works to capture flies in the house?  I had tried a roll thingy that they were supposed to be attracted to but it didn't do anything.

thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

BTDT  https://forum.greytalk.com/topic/327490-fly-invasion/

This is what finally worked here: https://www.hotshot.com/products/flying-insect-control/flying-insect-killer.aspx

Plus we always have the clear sticky clings on the windows. I hate looking at them but take some satisfaction that the little buggers stuck on it won't be bothering me again.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

On 7/17/2021 at 1:50 PM, macoduck said:

BTDT  https://forum.greytalk.com/topic/327490-fly-invasion/

This is what finally worked here: https://www.hotshot.com/products/flying-insect-control/flying-insect-killer.aspx

Plus we always have the clear sticky clings on the windows. I hate looking at them but take some satisfaction that the little buggers stuck on it won't be bothering me again.

I got an electronic fly swatter from Amazon (arrived yesterday) but so far (thankfully!) no flies yet to try it on.  I'm leery about using any kind of chemicals.  What's the dish soap/vinegar thing?

Thanks!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

That works best for fruit flies, they are attracted to the vinegar, and can't get out due to the soap. A commercial trap is the same thing, malic acid in a container.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg