Getting Lucas Out of the Car

Hi Folks, It's been quite a while since I posted on Greytalk, but thought I'd post here to get some suggestions on working through a behavior of Lucas.  I've had greyhounds for over twenty years now and have worked through a lot of different issues with different greyhounds. They certainly are all individuals.  I just love the breed.  Here's the situation.  Lucas is 7 years old (will be 8 in September) - I adopted him at age 3.  He is blind from progressive retinol atrophy (PRA) - I knew of his diagnosis and his oncoming blindness when I adopted him.  I love him dearly.  Lucas is very outgoing and very social.  He definitely has a mind of his own and can be a bit pushy - but never aggressive. He loves people. He absolutely loves to ride in the car.  He hates the heat and humidity (which is what we're having now here in New England).  

The behavior I am dealing with and have been dealing with for the past few years is there are times when Lucas will refuse to get out of the car after going on a ride. Yesterday he even refused to get out of the car when we met some fellow greyhound owners and their greyhounds for a walk. I've started keeping a journal to track when this happens to see if there is any pattern.  It seems that it usually happens on hot/humid days, but I will confirm this as my journal advances.

I have an SUV and he uses a ramp to get into the car.  He won't use the ramp to come out - he jumps out with me guiding him. I've tried training him to use the ramp to get out of the car using high quality treats, guiding him, encouraging him - and he won't do it.  At first I thought his refusal to get out was due to his blindness and his fear of jumping not seeing where he was going.  I've tried very high quality treats - no luck.  I've tried having his favorite people/greyhounds come over to see him - no luck. I've tried just pulling him out and he totally freaks and will snap.  Plus - I will NOT force him.  With his blindness, it is imperative for him to trust me and I won't violate that trust.  

Lucas does eventually get out of the car when he's ready - if he has to pee or if it's supper time and he wants to eat. So for now, during the hot days where I can't let him stay in the car until he's ready to get out, I don't take him for rides.  On the cool days and in the fall, when it doesn't matter if he stays in the car for a few hours, I will work with him more on this.  But I worry that if something comes up and he HAS to go somewhere - the vets, etc. - that this will happen.  (So far it hasn't - he went to the vets in April and he got right out of the car.)

Those of you who have had greyhounds for a long time - have you experienced this?  Any suggestions beyond what I have tried? (FYI - later today I am getting a new car - back to a mini-van.  I'm hoping that will be much easier for Lucas to get in and out of.)

Thanks so much. 

Since the minivan should be much easier for him to get in and out of I would do a lot of traiing around that once you have the van.  There may still be some fear there related to the height of jumping out of the SUV. 

The only time we ever faced anything like this was when Rocket would get in the car in advance of a trip because he realized that we were going somewhere and he was not about to miss the trip.  He would sit in the car for hours while I loaded it or got the car ready for the trip. I never had him refuse to get out once we arrived at home or at our destination though. Hopefully one of the people here who are more ivolved with training cangive some suggestions.

Good luck.  Keep us posted as to how it goes. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Have you talked to your vet about this.  Last greyhound gave me trouble getting in/out it turned out to be LS (back issues) missed it until she started to knuckle under.  She also had SLO which is what vet and I thought it was related to.  
May want to check feet too.  Hope you figure it out.  Best to both of you.

Most dogs do not like to use a ramp - the dog ramps they make are way to narrow. If it is coming from an SUV, then, it is also steep.  As for jumping, that is a leap of faith for a blind dog. And I suspect that he will not jump after people have already tried to get him down the ramp. Maybe too much going on ...

A blind dog (or a dog missing another sense) has to spend more time reading the world in a different way using his other senses - in his case, he has to smell, listen, feel to orient himself to the world and that takes time. Have you tried using keywords identifying where you are when you are asking him to come out of car. For example, some people with blind dogs that also have other dogs, will put cow bells with different sounds on the other dogs so the blind dog can orient when another dog gets close. Some people also use different scents in different rooms so a blind dog waking up can identify where they are from the smell.  In a similar fashion, you can say "home driveway" to him as an identification of where you are and assuming you always  park in the same place in driveway, he would know what to expect as he is getting out. 

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions and ideas. I so appreciate it.  I picked up my new van earlier today and I'm hoping that will help Lucas. It is low enough that I'm pretty sure he'll be able to get in and out without needing a ramp!  

I've tried using key words with him when I want to get him out.  MaryJane - I will try using "home" for him to let him know we are home.  

I will continue to monitor for additional feedback.  Thanks again, everyone.

Do you have a harness? A Ruffwear harness may better help guide and reassure than the typical webbing harnesses.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

2 hours ago, phall said:

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions and ideas. I so appreciate it.  I picked up my new van earlier today and I'm hoping that will help Lucas. It is low enough that I'm pretty sure he'll be able to get in and out without needing a ramp!  

I've tried using key words with him when I want to get him out.  MaryJane - I will try using "home" for him to let him know we are home.  

I will continue to monitor for additional feedback.  Thanks again, everyone.

With our van, I am able to put the dogs in the side door.  It is lower entry than the back.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Yes - I have a good harness for Lucas made by Julius K9.  

Irene - I noticed the same thing - that Lucas will be able to get in and out on the side door, which I think is much safer than the back.

I'll let everyone know how things go.