When do the young 'uns become adults?!

Hi everyone, 

Just after some positive stories or encouragement pretty please 😂

Our 2 year old boy has been with us for almost 5 months now and we love him very much. Can't imagine life without him. But I'm just wondering when (on average, I know they're all different really) he'll grow out of the puppy ish behaviours?! 

I mean, I'd say he's chilled and very 'classic greyhound' 80% of the time now. He responds really well to training and positive reinforcement and is already solid with leave it, 'on your bed' and stay/wait commands which is SO helpful. We currently give him 2 walks a day which last between 45 mins and an hour which always tire him out. After his evening walk and dinner an hour later he's very, very calm and sleeps all evening/night downstairs without a peep. So in that sense we're doing well, I think?! 

The other 20% of the time he's very excitable, high energy and you have to watch him like a hawk to direct his behaviour or have a play etc. I wouldn't say he's destructive, but he's a very cheeky little monkey indeed. It really is like having a toddler in the house again. 

So whilst I don't think we have anything to worry about, I'm just wondering if the high octane stuff will phase out as he gets a bit older? I think I'll be more able to cope with it if I know it's not forever, if that makes sense?! 

Many thanks in advance for reading ❤️

You are so close just hang in there.  I am currently about a year ahead of you.  My Journey just turned 3 end of June.  Around 2.5 yrs I could see the wheels of her mind thinking before she would do things.   I love that stage she looks at something she should not have think twice then get her toy she praised highly every time this happened.  Then around 3 so very recently she now gets how to great people on our walk and everyone is not there for her.  She would swing her butt and block the whole trail trying to get people to stop. If I put a hand on her side by her tuck she would scream hoping that she could block the traffic.  We have been working on it for a while.  Then one day recently she just stopped trying to rush/block the trail.  So hang on you are close to the young adult greyhound brain.

He should begin to settle down in about a year or so.  They are really puppies in adult bodies until 3+ years old.  And you can still have puppy behaviors burst through until 6 years old (or older ;) ).

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

You are doing very well with the training, I am impressed! My 2 yr old didn’t do that well :lol. I would say, on average 2.5-3 years is when they really start to settle down and lose the toddler behavior. But, as you know individuals can be on a different time line, and some never completely get over the occasional “what were you thinking?” behavior :rolleyes:

Got a 2.5 myself--still working on the Greedy Guts Pushy Boy behavior! 

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

This is all so encouraging and helpful. Thank you so, so much. You have no idea how much I appreciate it ❤️

I feel like I should also add that he's so unbelievably loving and trusting and affectionate. He loves us SO much that it's the silver lining when he's being annoying 😜 He never raced so I wonder if that might be why? That he wasn't in the system for that long so didn't pick up too much trauma? 

Our previous greyhound who passed away last year came to us as a 4 year old ex racer. Timid, scared, anxious. The compete opposite. Over the years she slowly came out of her shell and was a very quiet, calm, still soul. And we were shaken and devastated when we lost her. So you can see why our new bundle of energy is a learning curve. 

Also, we're NEVER giving up on him. Im sure I'll look back in a few years and wonder what all the fuss was about (much like my kids!) but I just wanted to make sure it's all normal, young grey stuff 😍

1 hour ago, greysmom said:

He should begin to settle down in about a year or so.  They are really puppies in adult bodies until 3+ years old.  And you can still have puppy behaviors burst through until 6 years old (or older ;) ).

:nod      Our girl Beka acted like a puppy until she was 6 years old!   :lol:     Cherry is currently 5 years old and still exhibits some puppy behavior but is calming down (sort of).     We got them when they were 3.5 (several years apart) and they were both very puppylike then.     

We adopted Ivy when she had just turned 2- very puppy-like!  She stayed that way until she was about 4, then calmed down to her current mature, sophisticated lady demeanor.

Good luck with your boy.   Enjoy and savor each stage of his life!

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Odin is 9 and still has his high energy moments.  I think it is all part of their personalities.  I keep telling people, "they are not dogs".

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

You are doing great! Search these forums for any threads containing "Paddy ALVIN! Mayhem" whom we lost much too soon at 7 - the point is, he was still a puppy at heart and in the real. Please keep us updated and remember the :rules - we need :digicam !

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I've gotten training school dropouts at 18 months, a couple who washed out early at about 2-ish, several older adults after they were done racing, and several actual puppies under a year old - it's all about their individual personalities.  They don't get "trauma"
 from doing what they are bred to do, and are generally happy and healthy dogs who are well adjusted to their lifestyle.  Even the puppies who never trained or raced behave remarkably similarly to their successful siblings.  A greyhound is greyhound!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

9 hours ago, greysmom said:

I've gotten training school dropouts at 18 months, a couple who washed out early at about 2-ish, several older adults after they were done racing, and several actual puppies under a year old - it's all about their individual personalities.  They don't get "trauma"
 from doing what they are bred to do, and are generally happy and healthy dogs who are well adjusted to their lifestyle.  Even the puppies who never trained or raced behave remarkably similarly to their successful siblings.  A greyhound is greyhound!

each dog is different, puppy antics are when they behave like crazy dogs all the time- live with a gh who is younger than 9 months and you will know exactly what i am writing about! at 2 they are getting close to their physical prime and still have that adolescent craziness. i observed that at 2.5-3 yrs of age  maturity settles in. 

personally i'm saddened to read of all the people who adopted younger hounds and expected mature adult behavior. it's not the adoptee's fault- the adoption group needs to really inform it's clients what a young hound can be like. sight hounds mature very differently than a golden or lab or beagle. it's a slower process both physically and mentally. and the young ones do need much more exercise than a mature adult.

Hildy, who turned 11 on Friday, still has moments of lunacy. :lol: I've had even older girls--especially broodies--act like puppies. But yes, the moments are less frequent and don't last as long as they do when a dog is younger.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

On 7/14/2021 at 7:30 PM, GreyPoopon said:

I've had even older girls--especially broodies--act like puppies. 

8 year old brood momma Wiki is coming into her own after 6 months with me. And it's a lot! :offwall

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

9 hours ago, Jerilyn said:

8 year old brood momma Wiki is coming into her own after 6 months with me. And it's a lot! :offwall

Yep. And it lasts. Opal turned 13 on Monday and she's still :bounce1at times, especially on walks. Toodles too, and she turned 12 today.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

1 hour ago, GreyPoopon said:

Yep. And it lasts. Opal turned 13 on Monday and she's still :bounce1at times, especially on walks. Toodles too, and she turned 12 today.

:wow I thought Wiki would grow out of it.   Happy birthday to Toodles!

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

22 hours ago, Jerilyn said:

:wow I thought Wiki would grow out of it.   Happy birthday to Toodles!

Toodles says tankth (she doesn't have many teef).