Cyst between toes

Hi everyone - 

Our Gracie (now 8) has arthritis in her left front wrist which we are managing, but she has now developed a cyst between the two middle toes on that foot. Our vet knows about it and has prescribed oral and topical antibiotics and I've been going back every 10 days for a check. The cyst will get bigger, rupture, drain, be almost gone for a few hours, and then it grows again. This has been going on for more than a month. I asked the vet fairly early on if surgical removal was needed and she said no, the antibiotics will eventually take care of it. 

Can you share your cyst experiences? Thanks so much!

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

We dealt with this, ended up having to have it removed. We (with our vet's advise) left it alone as long as it wasn't painful, but eventually it got seriously inflamed and had to be removed.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Grace had one too, it appeared soon after I had adopted her. The vet lanced it, flushed it out and gave her a course of antibiotics. A week later it was still inflamed so she was x-rayed and there were 8 very tiny pieces of grit stuck in the webbing between her toes which we think must have come from her racing days. So another course of antibiotics and painkillers and once again it started to become infected so in the end the webbing between her toes was removed.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

mango just had one. the FNA revealed round cell cyst, nothing malignant. it became infected, put her on antibiotics and it's gone! it wasn't a histiocytoma- we were going to go back in sept for a recheck and decision re: surgery. personally i think she trimmed it off and the antibiotics did the trick. just ha-ha try to not let her chew on it. did your vet opt for a FNA?

Thanks! There hasn't been an FNA, just antibiotics. It seems to me, admittedly not a vet, that there's pus and blood coming out that looks more like an infection and looks less like a traditional cyst. We have our next check in this week. 

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Grace's experience with the embedded grit made me think, how about an warm epsom salt soak or cloth?  I've had good luck with bringing deep infection and embedded debris to the surface with epsom salts.  Apply for 10 minutes, dry it, finish with a light coating of antibiotic ointment (3 times a day).  If nothing else, it will be really clean!

A doctor taught me how to do this, years ago, when I had an abcess.  It's a good, gentle therapy.

Gail

i'm one to run to the closet and get the epsom's salts. the vet said- NO! and that sounds like what happened to ms. mango's cyst- gross looking and oozing.

CEFPODOXIME  did the trick. within 48 hrs she stopped chewing on it and it started to heal.