‘Clicking’ throat

I’m not sure if this is a medical issue or behavioural issue but wonder if anyone else has experience of their grey making a clicking noise in their throat, with the cartilage moving up and back repeatedly. It is normally followed by Buddy having a grass eating frenzy. He’s done this for as long as we have had him (three years!) intermittently and I can’t see a pattern to it or any particular trigger. I don’t have a video of it (he is usually pretty desperate to get outside and eat grass so I am desperate to let him out rather than reaching for my phone). It’s nothing to do with his collar and I don’t think it has anything to do with needing a drink.

Any clues?

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Google laryngeal collapse or laryngeal paralysis videos and see of those are the sounds you are hearing.

In the process of breathing that you described, I wonder if he gulped in air and is eating grass to relieve it, as in trying to burp?

If it's an upset stomach, my vet likes Meclizine (generic Dramamine). I now use it instead of Pepcid. If the abdomen seems tender, a GasX may help as well.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I might start with an acid reducer though, to see if it's acid reflux.  And try and get a good piece of video with sound for your vet.  He'll last for 10 or 15 seconds while you record it, then let him out.

It also wouldn't hurt to keep a log of each incident, and any unusual daily breaks from routine.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks to you both. I did wonder about laryngeal paralysis as it’s been mentioned a few times on the forum but it didn’t seem to fit quite right. I will try to get a video and let you know what happens

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

We caught the diagnosis early which makes a big difference.

We did not do a sedation exam of his larynx.  Because of his age my vet said let's try the medicine first.

Doxepin was the med we used for LP. Very inexpensive. Dosing every 12 hours. We could tell when we were approaching time for the next dose because his symptoms would return.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png