My Oreo gone at only 5

For years all I’ve wanted is a greyhound. Our beautiful Oreo came to us last August straight off the track. He came into our house and straight up on to the couch and made himself at home. Yesterday morning he got up not a bother on him and an hour later he was gone. He jumped off the couch and ran into the kitchen, he couldn’t get a grip on the floor and was sliding everywhere, I thought he was just slipping then realised his whole body was contorting. He fell down and started shaking, I thought it was a seizure like my other dog had before. It stopped and he just lay there panting and five minutes later it stopped and I realised he had just died. I can’t believe our beautiful boy is gone, my children were in the room and seen it all. The wonderful couple who gave him to us from their rescue came straight away to take him down to the vets. The vet thinks it was a stroke. I just can’t get my head around it, one minute there and then not. He had just turned 5 and was living his best life. He loved walks and would look to go out at least 3 times a day. He had his favourite route around the town and god love anyone who blocked his path, he’d walk straight through them. He was only starting to learn how to be a dog, he’d give licks and was starting to play with our lurcher. He loved hugs from the kids and snuggling on the couch with them. The house was so quiet last night without him crying for us to bring him out for yet another walk. I’ve lost two dogs before but they were both 15 and had lived their best life, poor Oreo got 5 years and less then 1 as an adored family member. This is just heartbreaking.9404067F-ED99-4250-923D-3190C96BA280.thumb.jpeg.b62b48bcc5d93e76bc54ff6983f2e1fb.jpeg

My heart is breaking for you.  There are so many things I could say but as you know words are totally inadequate.  I can share my experience and I to have endured sudden unexpected loss as well and know how it is just like a knife through your heart.  As you go through the grieving process I think what you will ultimately find is that Oreo is still with you.  Only his body died. Oreo is spirit-that is the real Oreo that you fell in love with- and he is OK and he will be with you always.  I know that sounds kind of out there but the heart knows what the mind can't understand.  He may send you signs to comfort you and teach you. You know how wise greyhounds are.  Just be open minded. You will recognize them because you recognize his energy.One big comforting thing though is that he will always be a part of your life. His love is simply to powerful for it not to be. And love is energy to- in fact the most powerful force in the universe- and nothing, not even death is strong enough to destroy love.   I am attaching some thoughts that helped me and hope you can take some comfort from them as well.

Until we meet again..
You say that all you have left are memories but this is not so.
You see, when I took leave of my earthly body I left a little something behind for you.
You can't touch it, hold it or examine it, for what I left behind is far too uninhibited for confinement.
I left in your tender care a piece of my soul.
I placed it right next to your own which is quite fitting as we were always side by side in our earthly life together.
I love you too much to have left you with nothing but memories that tend to fade and grow cloudy as the years go by.
I love you too much to have vanished without a trace. How selfish it would be of me to remove love and light from your life.
I understand your tears, each one you shed is testament to your love for me and I am honored and humbled.
But don't forget the good things we shared - remember and smile. This is an honor for me as well.
When you need me I will be here.
Close your eyes, relax, take slow, deep breaths and picture me in your mind.
Shut off the world and your notions of what you think death is and give me a chance.
Look for the subtle signs I send you.
Don't stop being proud of me, I am a friend to be proud of, I am still your friend and soul mate.
Don't memorialize the death of my body but instead honor and celebrate my never-ending life for it is eternal
and forever as is my love for you.
Until we meet again...
(Only part of a very long heart felt poem by Terri Oronato)

The Way

In the darkness I turned to go; my last day's

done; I'll miss you so. No time even to say

goodbye or to lock the tears spilling from

your eyes.

That's when I heard you call my name;

I knew right then I must turn back to help ease your pain.

Since I've no voice with which to speak,

its whispers in your dreams I'll make.

Ease your heart and rest your mind, my

time with you was the best of kind. I couldn't

have asked for a better friend, we've shared

our journey to the very end.

There's one final thing you need to know, I'll

whisper in your ear before I go....."I'm leaving

first to find the way...so I can lead you back here with me on your last day."  -(SLong)

*********************************************************************************************************

And this is a message a bridge angel sent to his person: "The love is bigger than the pain. I know your heart is breaking terribly. But I promise you that your pain will subside over time, and our love, our love not only will survive, it will be stronger. Someday the horrible pain will be a memory of deep sadness but our love will still be vibrant and alive. Love is always bigger than pain. When you are hurting, reach for the love and I promise you will feel better."

"For love is as strong as death....
Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the floods drown it.
If a man would give for love all the wealth of his house, it would be utterly despised."

-Song of Solomon 8:6-7

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
"What we have enjoyed we can never lose…All that we love deeply becomes a part of us."-Helen Keller

:grouphug :f_red:f_red:f_red:gh_runner

Edited by racindog

Oh, what a shock and how heartbreaking.   I am so sorry.   :grouphug 

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

There are no words. Just please know that you gave Oreo The Best days of his life :heart  For a hound to know how truly loved he is is beyond measure. I am so very sorry for your loss :grouphug

Godspeed good boy.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thank you all for your beautiful words. I think it’s the shock of it all, was expecting to have him for at least another 10 years. There was loads we wanted to do with him like bring him to the beach, day trips out and holidays and now we can’t. He was only with us for such a short time but definitely took all our hearts. Will miss him jumping up and down while we tried to get his harness and collar on and even his stinky farts (he could clear a room with them 😁) Our little lurcher has lost her buddy but seems to be doing ok with it all, loads of extra hugs are helping.

I so sorry to hear that Oreo has left you. I will add Oreo's name to the list of Bridge Angels in the Remembrance forum here on Greytalk.  :grouphug

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I am so sad and sorry to read this.  I am sure that there is new star in the sky named Oreo.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

It's never easy to lose a loved family member.  And to have it be so sudden makes it even harder.  All our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.   {{{hugs}}}

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Racindog said it best. I lost Johnny unexpectedly just two weeks before his 8th bday. I understand completely.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Oh my  gosh, I am so very, very sorry :(:(:( that is MUCH too young to lose you boy :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

our Rick just turned 5 on 6/30 (just got him Nov) and I CANNOT imagine losing him like you did your sweet boy.

sending MANY, MANY hugs to you during this sad time :( :grouphug :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Energy: You do feel them. What you are feeling when you miss them is not their absence. It's their presence.

This was a tough one for me to grasp in the throes of a loss but I've found that over time it has brought much comfort. I hope the same for you. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so very sorry for your tragic loss.  Watch for a sign  It may be subtle or it may be obvious.  I was a skeptic, but I learned it's true. 

Run with the angels Oreo

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I'm so sorry for your loss.  Unexpected loss is even harder.  Your sweet boy knew that he was loved and he was living his best life with you and your family. It hurts like crazy now, but eventually you will be able to smile or laugh when you think about something he did or when you encounter a toy or object that he loved to play with.  Run-free Oreo. :f_red

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

He Is Gone

You can shed tears that he is gone
Or you can smile because he has lived

You can close your eyes and pray that he will come back
Or you can open your eyes and see all that he has left

Your heart can be empty because you can’t see him
Or you can be full of the love that you shared

You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday
Or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday

You can remember him and only that he is gone
Or you can cherish his memory and let it live on

You can cry and close your mind,
Be empty and turn your back
Or you can do what he would want:
Smile, open your eyes, love and go on.

Based on a short verse by David Harkins

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time