Another reason to avoid loose tags

Yet another reason to avoid loose tags. Working in my office today and suddenly Violet is standing there starting to freak out because our floor vent is hanging from her neck. I was able to slip her collar off and then remove it so no harm done, but could have been a mess if I weren't here. This is why dogs are naked when I'm not home. And honestly I don't even know why these tags were on her collar. We switched to one flat Boomerang tag, but I must have put these on for a specific reason and forgotten to take them back off. 

PXL_20210621_182934316_ccbvr3.jpg

PXL_20210621_182940202_hkj6ps.jpg

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yup.  It doesn't take much for them to get caught.  I have to put tags on Starz at night so that she "jingles" if she gets up and needs out. She will not make a noise at all but will just stand there while we sleep.  If I forget to take the tags off in the morning, they can get caught in the food bowl stand and flip the bowls over when she pulls. 

No floor vents here to worry about here at least. 

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Not just tags, either. Val only wears a loose tag collar with a flat Boomerang i.d. In the house, or she used to wear a tag collar in the house. The other day she was rubbing her eye and got her dewclaw caught in the collar. Drama Queen started with the GSOD. I pulled the collar off and slipped it off her claw so the screaming would stop. No blood, the claw wasn’t torn, the foot was fine, but I didn’t want to go through that again, so now she is nekkid in the house :rolleyes:

Yep, mine are nekkid when I'm gone and overnight. When I'm home during the day I tend to leave them on so they're on for turnouts, etc. I probably wouldn't even leave them on when home if they were mouthier players, but their version of bitey face is air bites. :lol

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

this happened to our Larry and we were home (we also remove their collars before leaving home).  Glad your pup is ok.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

breakaway collars do work- but with 2 dogs wrestling i was constantly looking for them in the yard. 

i use a tiny cat size tag with telephone #s only on a super thin(1/2") collar that can easily slip over the head. rabies etc are not essential. if there is an incident animal control needs to see the paper work. i'm still looking for thin brass or stainless steel plates that can be riveted onto a loose collar. if anyone has a lead- please post. it needs to be less than 1/2" wide.

suddenly Violet is standing there starting to freak out because our floor vent is hanging from her neck.

Wow.  Just wow.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• 2 weeks later...