Sweep update: it's cancer

Well, it seems that the odds might have caught up to us. We took Sweep in for her follow-up x-rays on May 17 and the vet said the fracture on her back right tibia hadn't completely healed so we should bring her back in 3-4 weeks. There was a "maybe suspicious" area but we agreed to wait the 3-4 weeks since she has been completely herself, no limping, and her chest rads were clear. We took her in Tuesday for x-rays and the surgeon called back saying she, a radiologist, and an oncologist had reviewed the films and were "very concerned" that we might in fact be dealing with cancer after all. To say we were shocked is an understatement. We truly thought we were out of the woods. 

I sent the films to Dr. Couto and he agrees that the bone is "abnormal"; basically, it should be 100% healed 14 weeks after her break. It's not a slam dunk though. He also wants to rule out osteomyelitis, and of course it might be cancer but not osteo.

We had our consult with the oncologist on Thursday. We really, really liked him and he spent 40 minutes answering all our questions by phone as we sat in the parking lot (we're still not allowed into the clinic yet). He says his gut says tumor but he can't say 100% because the presentation *is* rather unusual, as is the fact that it's been three months and she still seems fine, even without pain meds. She is using the leg normally and the plate is keeping it stable and helping keep her comfortable. He sent out the rads from March, May, and June to another radiologist and also sent out urine to check for fungal infection (unlikely, but we have insurance so why not). So we'll wait for the radiologist's input and go from there. He told us of another dog who presented similarly and the owners opted for chemo and amp, and the dog is still around three years later. They *still* don't know whether they got the cancer or he never had it. 

Because she is insured and because she is a pretty robust 11.8, we've been strongly considering both chemo and amputation. To my surprise, my husband seems more sure about it than I am. However, yesterday this popped up seemingly out of nowhere.

IMG-1440.jpg

Now, I am pretty sure she stumbled over the cat yesterday when he darted under her to get outside to the porch. I heard it but didn't see it. And my historically not-terribly-stoic dog lets us manipulate and squeeze this semi-firm lump without any complaint and she isn't lame. But how can my mind not go to the worst conclusion: that she has it in two legs and now our options are limited?

What a roller coaster. Any input from those experienced with any of this is welcomed and much appreciated. I've been reading the osteo threads and will continue researching. Thanks for reading.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

• ramonaghan changed the title to Sweep update: it's probably cancer
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:candle :candle :candle

I can’t really help, my two experiences with osteo started with a broken leg and neither was a candidate for amputation for various reasons. I hope it turns out to be something more treatable, and if not and you decide on amputation, I have heard many say here, age is just a number. :grouphug

Wow.  I was not ready to see this headline.  

All paws crossed here at Camp Broodie that you get good news when all of this comes together. 

Hang in there, Sweep. You have more people pulling for you than you will ever know. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Sweep, you are such a beautiful and brave girl. We send all the best love, healing energy, good vibes your way.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Cancer - and the possibility of cancer - sucks big time.  I'm so sorry you and sweet Sweep are having to deal with this.

It is possible the first tumor isn't osteo.  We've had a few come through the Osteo threads with a different kind of sarcoma.  Amp and chemo apparently was curative in their cases as they lived for longer than normal with no further issues.  Kristin's dog Henry comes to mind as the most recent, but there have been others.  

If you can get in to your vet right away you can do an FNA of the new lump, along with a quick xray.  It may (or may not) tell you anything, but it's a place to begin.  It's possible that lump is just a contusion from the trip over the cat.  It's just as possible whatever original cancer she had is beginning to metastisize to other areas.  Make sure you get a good clear xray of her lungs too.

All my good, healing white light thoughts for you and Sweep!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My heart breaks for you facing this fear and uncertainty. It is a good thing though that Sweep is feeling good and is unaware of any possible issues. I hope you get answers and a plan soon. :grouphug 

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Thank you all; your support means more than I can say. Dr. Couto offered me a little bit of hope. I sent the photo of the lump and he said it is the area where the ligament attaches, so a sprain is possible. Of course, he says xrays are the way to go, and we planned to do that Monday anyway. I'm icing it now to see if that makes a difference, in which case we might have our answer. It also occurred to me that it's the exact opposite leg from the broken leg so she's probably bearing more weight on it than usual. 

Thank you again. Needless to say, I'll keep you all posted. Meanwhile here's Her Highness this morning as per usual.

IMG-1444.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

IMG-1444.jpg

I feel good mom, what's the fuss? I told you that cat was trouble!

:grouphug :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I went the front leg amp route with my 12 yr old Diamond. She did great until cancer hit a back leg. 

I won't hesitate to do it again. 

The first 2 weeks suck though.  And you'll doubt yourself.  Just hold on. When she's running around with a big old grin on her face you'll be glad you did. 

Just now, MP_the4pack said:

I went the front leg amp route with my 12 yr old Diamond. She did great until cancer hit a back leg. 

I won't hesitate to do it again. 

The first 2 weeks suck though.  And you'll doubt yourself.  Just hold on. When she's running around with a big old grin on her face you'll be glad you did. 

Thanks, MP. Your Diamond is exactly why I knew we didn't have to rule out amp just because of her age. So, so grateful for this forum. 

We're in this with you.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Sweep, you have official permission to milk this for all it's worth.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I'm so sorry you all are facing this new scare. Sending prayers and healing wishes for Sweep.  Uncertainty is particularly hard to deal with.  It is wonderful that Sweep is comfortable and content. :grouphug 

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I am so sorry to hear this and it is such a difficult time for you!    As you know, our girl Beka was diagnosed with osteo at 10 1/2 years old and confirmed by Dr. Couto.   We opted for amp and chemo because Beka was a feisty girl who loved life and we knew she would be able to deal with it.  It was her left front leg.   As Mary Pat said, the first two weeks are really, really difficult and then they suddenly turn a corner and things get better.   Beka lived for an additional 14 months post amp and she was running at greyhound playgroup and still LOVED to go on walks.    She was just shy of her 12th birthday when she was diagnosed with mets in her spine and her rear leg and couldn't stand up anymore.   It's a difficult journey but definitely worth it to offer precious time and life for your grey!

Sending :hope :hope :hope for Sweep!

Kathy

Edited by Potomacpupsmom

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

47 minutes ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Heard back from the radiologist?  How's the lump?  The brindle boys send tail wags to Sweep.  

Thanks for checking on us! No change in the lump and no word from the radiologist yet. She's back at the clinic today for x-rays and an FNA and whatever else they recommend so we can come up with a game plan. She has been a happy, affectionate girl, spending much of her days upside-down, for which we are incredibly grateful (albeit also very puzzled given the presumptive diagnosis).

All fellow baknforthers welcome and appreciated. I'll update as I know more.

New lump is cancer. Oncologist was shocked. Looks like histiocytic sarcoma; very rare, aggressive soft tissue sarcoma. Amp is off the table; we'll start chemo asap. 

Thanks for being here with us.

Oh, we were so hoping for better news. But we hope the chemo does some good, it will be a rough road ahead, but we are sending all the love we can.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Dammmit. That is all.

:grouphug :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.