Plum Poisoning

I am on hold with ASPCA poison control right now, per the recommendation of the E vet, to ask about possible plum poisoning.  I thought I would hop on here to see if anyone has experience with this.  Our Bette has Pica, I swear.  She will eat anything.  Rocks, dead worms, mushrooms.  Thanks God she is not a poop eater.  Anyway, our neighbor has a plum tree that started dropping very small plums plums in our yard maybe 7-10 days ago.  Bette, of course, found them and loves them.  We toss over all the ones we see, but she has eaten maybe 2-3 a day over the past week.  I decided to look them up to see if they are toxic, and of course, the seeds are.  They release cyanide as they are digested.  Terrifying.  She eats them whole.  Doesn't even chew them.  I have seen whole seeds in her poop this week.  She seems fine.  No symptoms that I saw listed.  But I worry she could be slowly poisoned without me knowing it.  Since reading how toxic they are, she is now not allowed outside without a stool guard on her muzzle until the tree is cut down.  

So, as I sit here and wait on the ASPCA to answer my call, how worried should I be?  The E vet said not to bring her in because she is not symptomatic, but to call the ASPCA and get their advice . . .

Did you get an answer from ASPCA? I don't know, but wonder if because the seeds are being passed whole, how much toxicity would be absorbed? Hope your girl is ok and it would be great to know what the official answer is! :goodluck

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Just got off phone with ASPCA poison control. It cost $75 for the consult, but well worth the peace of mind they gave me.  BC dogs don't typically "chew" up seeds/pits, the cyanide is not being released.  It is when the seed is "broken" that it becomes dangerous.  She said it is far more dangerous for livestock to eat stone fruits bc they actually chew up whatever is in their mouths.  I can vouch that Bette inhales vs. chews.  She also said that cyanide poisoning is very fast acting, and that she would be symptomatic and possibly dead in short order if she actually did have cyanide poisoning.  Since it has been about 18 hours since her last plum, the ASPCA rep said she is likely out of the woods.  The neighbor's son is out there now cutting the tree back.  I hope they end up just taking it down, bc they also have a dog that eats anything.  

I think it's actually the little kernel inside the hard seed shell that is the most toxic, so if she's not chewing/grinding the outside down to the kernel she should be OK.  Glad things are going to work out for her.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm glad she's ok and thanks so much for the update!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

7 minutes ago, FiveRoooooers said:

I'm glad she's ok and thanks so much for the update!

Me too, and happy to share the update.  Some other terrified soul may face a similar situation in the future, and get some comfort out of what I was told, though of course, this should not be a substitute for a consult with a vet.

Would your neighbor be open to pruning the portion of the plum tree hanging over your yard?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Dear Nutmeg loved to eat the plums that fell off what was supposedly an ornamental plum tree in the yard.  I'd find little piles of plum pits where she'd passed them.  I never thought about toxins; my main concern was her getting stung by the wasps that came to feast on the rotting fruit.  I'd have to shut Nutmeg up in the house while I picked up plums; if she saw me doing it, she'd race up and try to gorp down as many as possible before I got them.  The plum tree finally went bye-bye in a windstorm.  Nutmeg was such a sweet, well-behaved dog -- this was the only aggravating thing she ever did.  Well, besides frequently stealing the bathmat when I was taking a shower.  Miss that girl.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter