7 yo unraced grey - neurological issues? Muscle issues?

An update on Lemming. She had a CT scan of her abdomen and other than the nerve sheath tumour it all looked clear. They operated on Wednesday and removed everything they could see. It was a gruelling 4 hour op, but she was stable. She's now recovering. She can walk but is very unsteady and uncoordinated. I presume that will improve over the coming weeks? We live in a three story house with steps into and out of both doors of the property, so not ideal. We are looking at getting ramps for the steps and making up a bed downstairs. 

She also has a one sided facial paralysis that is confusing our vets, and it's on the wrong side that they were operating, and also they were nowhere near any facial nerves in their manipulations. There was no evidence of other tumours on the scan and her ears were fine. It might be a permanent feature - she can't blink her eye. Anyone have any experience of living with this condition? It is the dog equivalent of Bell's palsy, it seems. 

All those symptoms may resolve over time.  Give them a couple weeks.  And if ramps are easy to install I would do so - even a longer car ramp might work short term.  Start with it on the ground and walk her along it a few times so she gets used to the idea first.

This harness  Ruffwear Webmaster  may be useful depending on her surgical site.  Or this one HelpMeUp

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Hopefully! We're just hoping this will have helped with the nerve pain. That was our main goal. 

Thank you for the harness recommendations, they look good. My boyfriend has bought a sling but I think those harnesses look much easier to use so will get one of those as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another update on Lemming. She's doing really well. It's two weeks since her surgery. I can't see any evidence of facial paralysis. She's getting out for short walks and is a bit uncoordinated but strong. But best of all, she seems happy. She's very enthusiastic about mealtimes, and starts chattering her teeth in anticipation. Her face looks normal - the look of pain haunting her has passed, and she has been windmilling her tail in enthusiasm for her short walks. It's so good to have our little hound back, even if it's not for long. We are going to book a cottage by the sea in September. She used to be terrified of the waves but now she loves paddling. 

So glad to hear that your Lemming is improving. She's a lucky girl to have you and your boyfriend cheering her on.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

just seeing this, I'm so glad things turned out good!  Sending her and you hugs :grouphug :kiss2 

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway