Chomping Grass

Rumble sometimes forgets he's a dog and likes to munch grass while we're out. I always try to stop him and pull it out his mouth, but is it going to cause him any problems if he does eat grass? It gets a bit tedious having to grab him every time, and I don't really like having to stop him going in grass for a sniff. 

Both Wiki and Lila before her ate grass like cows with no ill effects. Well, Lila needed the occasional assist when the grass was trying to make it's exit from the other end. Wiki just makes that horrible retching sound when she's trying to swallow a 6 inch blade of grass. I don't let her eat grass out and about somewhere where it could have been sprayed with chemicals though.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Logan does that as well. Pretty common in dogs, actually. Lots of theories as to why on the Internet. I find if I try to keep Logan from eating grass he just eats it more quickly, then ends up vomiting it back out. No significant ill effects, but he sometimes has a problem with long grass creating "issues" at the other end. So I try to compromise and let him graze on shorter grass where there is not a sign up that it was just chemically treated. 

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

It's really common with all dogs, not just greyhounds, and they all seem to need some "salad" after a long winter.  I will often find all of mine grazing like sheep out in the yard, especially in Spring.  Just be careful about grasses you don't know as they could be sprayed or otherwise treated.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Buddy’s a grazer too and he seems to do it for different reasons. Most of the time the issues we have are related to rear end extraction as others have mentioned. Only once did he eat so much that it seemed to form almost a bezoar, but he puked it up about a day later and it didn’t stop him from eating in the meantime :rolleyes:. Nothing does.

Buddy also really, really loves those sticky plants, you know the ones that you would stick on someone’s clothes secretly when you were a kid? He can’t get enough of those

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

1 hour ago, MerseyGrey said:

..... Only once did he eat so much that it seemed to form almost a bezoar, but he puked it up about a day later and it didn’t stop him from eating in the meantime :rolleyes:.

Wow, I just learned a new word!  :wubsite

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

Just now, Sniffy said:

oh, and to add:  Stanley munches grass on a daily basis during his walks.  We try to limit him for the same reasons as other have described: potential pesticide exposure.  Strangely, he seems to be able to digest it just fine (no extractions required on the other end)

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

1 hour ago, MerseyGrey said:

a bezoar

Buddy also really, really loves those sticky plants, you know the ones that you would stick on someone’s clothes secretly when you were a kid? He can’t get enough of those

So much in this post :rofl

TPGIT was a grazer. She lived for Spring when the grass was fresh and new, and it never caused her issue. Pagliaccio also enjoyed some daily greens. The current campers enjoy a nosh now and then but not on a regular basis. As noted, be careful about Rumble's choices and be aware of the output what might get stuck :rolleyes:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thanks all. :) re: pesticides, Rumble seems to be quite discerning in his grazing, as most of all he seems to love eating the grass that grows around the beds in our allotment. Only organic grass for him. :lol Doesn't touch any of the actual food plants, just grass. I'm glad it wont cause him too much potential harm anyway.

10 hours ago, MerseyGrey said:

Buddy also really, really loves those sticky plants, you know the ones that you would stick on someone’s clothes secretly when you were a kid?

Also known as goosegrass which apparently comes from the same group of plants as coffee. The seeds can be roasted and produce a caffeine free drink so perhaps Buddy is getting his daily coffee hit :bounce1

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

23 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

Also known as goosegrass which apparently comes from the same group of plants as coffee. The seeds can be roasted and produce a caffeine free drink so perhaps Buddy is getting his daily coffee hit :bounce1

We called it stickybuds, my in laws call them cleavers. I knew it was from the coffee family but didn’t know you could make a drink from them. Everyone needs their morning coffee

On 6/8/2021 at 8:57 PM, FiveRoooooers said:

So much in this post :rofl

On 6/8/2021 at 8:32 PM, Sniffy said:

A small insight into what passed as entertainment for British kids in the eighties (and adults in the 2020’s on occasion)

I know what it is, where you usually find it, and what it can be made from. Still don’t know how to pronounce it!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23