Keepsakes

MattB

I hope this is the right thread to post on - I lost my beautiful Charlie a few months ago (I still struggle to talk, write or even look at photos of him at the moment but would love to write a tribute to him soon on this thread).

I have his rope collar on my desk in front of me and I wonder if anyone has had anything made from a collar before - something like a bracelet or other keepsake that I could keep close by or wear myself. I also have his leather fishtail collar if anyone has ever had anything made from leather. 

Would love to hear from anyone who's done anything like this.

Matt 

This isn’t exactly what you are talking about, but after my heart dog Fletcher passed I put a small amount of his ashes in a tiny glass  vial ( I am talking 1/4-1/2 tsp). I took that and his metal I.d.tag and put them in a small pouch and carry it with me everywhere. I am sure this sounds weird to many people, but it comforts me. Fletcher was very protective of me and I feel he still is protecting me :blush

I am sorry you've lost your beautiful Charlie :grouphug  Over the years and too-numerous-to-count furmination sessions with the campers, I collected a bag of fur and had it spun into yarn that I will knit into a scarf.  I love the idea of a keepsake bracelet made from Charlie's collar, perhaps one of his special tags could also be attached to lay flat on it (like a no-jingle tag collar). 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Again not quite what you’re talking about, but when Buddy goes over the bridge I am going to put a few of my favourite collars, complete with tags, in a box frame and hang it somewhere that I will see every day.

There is a lady that I follow on Instagram who makes rope collars (levriero.co.uk); I wonder if someone like her would refashion Charlie’s collar into a wristband. It might be worthwhile contacting a small business like that to see if they can help you :brokenheart

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

I think wristbands made from either or both of those types of collar would be both beautiful and meaningful.   I kept two of my dogs' i.d. tags on my keychain for years, till I was ready to lay them down.  

Just brainstorming -- I like the idea of something touching our skin that touched theirs, but an alternative might be a tattoo in the same design of one of the collars.  

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I think that if you sit quietly and ask Charlie what he thinks would be nice then he will get through to you and tell you.  In fact I think he is helping you along with this project right now. Charlie is OK-only his body died. The Charlie that you loved was spirit-as are we- and you will be together again someday.  I took one of my soul mate Slim's ID tags from his collar and have worn it around my neck since he left- 15 years now.  It truly is a point of contact for me and is very comforting as I feel Slim's energy through it.  I know Slim is with me still. I know he is waiting for me at the bridge. God bless you and Charlie :paw.  Love never dies-it is eternal. It is the most powerful force in the universe.

Sweet idea and I love it - we have a couple Etsy pillows on our couch with all of our greys ear tat numbers on them - I think of all my precious ones every day.   
edited to add - so sorry for you loss of Charlie — it’s so hard

Edited by teri_d
Addition