question about surgical procedure

So when Ned had surgery the other day the invoice shows that my vet tested the CBC, General Panel and Electrolyte Test twice. It looks as though the tests were done after anesthesia was started and again after the surgery was complete. Is that normal or was my vet being extra cautious? He had done surgeries on my pointer and never did these types of tests with her so pretty sure it is breed specific. I know hounds have different blood values that other breeds, just wondering if other hound owners have experienced the same type of duplicate test with surgery or maybe he thought the results were wonky and redid them.

Not common.  Prior to surgery is standard, but not once the procedure has begun.  I'd ask your vet for the reason.  Two CBCs should have been included on the estimate as well, so if s/he didn't discuss this with you, you deserve an answer as to why.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Is the timing right? Were you billed for two sets of tests?

All I can think is that it really was prior to surgery and something happened to the sample and they had to re-do it. I had to bring a dog back for another blood drawn after the first was destroyed by some machine. 

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

59 minutes ago, Jerilyn said:

Is the timing right? Were you billed for two sets of tests?

All I can think is that it really was prior to surgery and something happened to the sample and they had to re-do it. I had to bring a dog back for another blood drawn after the first was destroyed by some machine. 

I was billed for two sets of tests. The bill seems list items in the order they were performed which is why I guessed at the timing. 

It was something of an emergency as Ned had been bitten by another dog. I did not initially look at invoice very closely. The owner of the other dog already reimbursed the costs but now I am wondering about the double tests.

Based on surgeries he performed on my pointer I expected the bill to be between $400 and $500 for cleaning and suturing the wound, anesthesia,  antibiotics,pain med etc. The double tests added $300 making the final bill $732.

Maybe a billing mistake? I've had a lot of surgeries, many of them emergencies in 20 years and I've never seen this.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

4 minutes ago, PatricksMom said:

Maybe a billing mistake? I've had a lot of surgeries, many of them emergencies in 20 years and I've never seen this.

Thanks to the comments on this thread I called my vet office this morning and asked for an explanation.  I am waiting for a response and will update this thread. If it was an error I expect they will credit my account and I will send the other dog owner the difference.  

Also, I hope Ned is okay and recovering well.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

4 minutes ago, PatricksMom said:

Also, I hope Ned is okay and recovering well.

Thank you. He is doing well; the stitches are self dissolving so another 8 days or so. In the interim he is wearing his muzzle and a t shirt to keep him away from the stitches.  He is on a course of antibiotics, or, as we like to say, he gets liverwurst twice a day.

Go Ned (on the getting liverwust) all you get at my house is American cheese! Hope he feels better soon and that you sort this all out.

Just now, PatricksMom said:

Go Ned (on the getting liverwust) all you get at my house is American cheese! Hope he feels better soon and that you sort this all out.

Yes, well when I was trying ing to dose him for hookworms I learned that I needed to up my game so now I just default to liverwurst and skip the intermediate steps.

Thanks everyone. Based upon the answers in this thread I called my vet office and asked for an explanation. It turned out the second set of charges were an admin error.  The total should have been $580 which is more in line with what I expected. They credited $151.80 back to my credit card and I reimbursed the woman whose dog caused the injury.

Edited by fionasmom