Amputated Tail Recovery

Hi everyone! We've had quite an ordeal with my girl's tail since we adopted her a month ago. When she arrived, she had a wound on the end of her tail where a door was accidentally closed on it. The vet bandaged it but it just wasn't healing so he amputated the tip.

It's been almost a week. She had a check up a few days ago and the vet said it looked okay but wasn't dry enough for his liking. To be safe he gave us antibiotics to prevent and infection and put on a fresh bandage.

We muzzle her at night to prevent her from going at the bandage but we woke up this morning and saw a good bit of dry blood soaked into the bandage. She seems to be pushing at it with her muzzle causing it to bleed, I imagine it's getting itchy at this stage. We're going to the vet tomorrow to get it checked out.

Is there any way of preventing her from getting at the bandage? The cone doesn't seem to work as her tail is long enough to get into it. With her initial wound before amputation, the vet put a plastic syringe over it to protect it but it seemed very tight and caused swelling. 

The big giant(1-2 ounce/ ~60ml) plastic syringe covers might work-they come on the syringes that are generally used for feeding etc, BUT! I have used hair rollers before. You know the soft foamy kind women put in their hair? They are light and sometimes are just what the Dr ordered. There is also a collar of sorts that is pretty convenient and it just prevents them from bending their neck so they can't get at things. The KVP Bite Free Collar is another version of the neck control collar. This collar will keep your dog’s head and muzzle from reaching any area behind their neck. Not only that, but this collar can be trimmed for a custom fit.Not a lot you can do. Mostly you just got to get creative I think :) https://ourfitpets.com/health/8-best-alternatives-cone-shame/

Edited by racindog

Ah - happy tail - Ronee was the happy til queen.  Vet finally had to amputate her ankle length tail to knee length.  Agree foam rollers and also foam pool toys - the long noodles - can be cut into appropriate lengths.   

Prayers for recovery with no infection this time!   I always hoped no crime would be discovered at my house, cause if they did the luminal test for cleaned up blood they’d arrest me before discovering it was canine!   Happy tail memories of my sweet Ronee❤️  

9 hours ago, teri_d said:

Prayers for recovery with no infection this time!   I always hoped no crime would be discovered at my house, cause if they did the luminal test for cleaned up blood they’d arrest me before discovering it was canine!   Happy tail memories of my sweet Ronee❤️  

Haha we're still finding specks of blood around the place from weeks ago! She's doing well and the foam noodle advice was great and seems to be working!