Adopting a greyhound in Asia

eric

Hi I am a US citizen living in Mongolia. I am a responsible person with a job and a home. I would like to adopt a greyhound. 

I have contacted adoption agencies in California Korea and China, but none will allow me to adopt because they don't allow adoptions outside of their countries due to the requirement to monitor the adoptions. 

While I am happy they monitor the dogs, I am not happy that I cannot adopt a dog! There are no greyhounds in this country. 

Does anyone have suggestions to how I can adopt a greyhound? Or success stories in other countries? 

Thanks! Eric 

The answer from me is no, not really, but have you looked at the greyhound adoption program in Australia? My only other suggestion is, that while you want a greyhound (and I would never try to deter anyone from adopting a greyhound) there must be other dogs that need a home in Mongolia. From experience I expect that regardless of the dog you want, you will love the one you end up with. Sorry it’s not more helpful

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Do you have any adoption groups in your country? If so you can work with them to establish a partnership with a Korean,  Chinese etc group that rescues greyhounds. It's a bit of work but then you will have access to greyhounds.

People are just making sure that dogs don't go from the fry pan to the fire. That if they get shipped somewhere they will be safe.

Dog rescue in general is very different outside of the US - as in, mostly non-existent - due to vastly different views on companion animals.  I would think finding any agency that does rescue and adoption for campanion dogs would be very, very difficult.  Also, if you are ever considering relocating outside Mongolia (returning to the US if you're a citizen, for example), research the export/import rules NOW before you find out your adopted dog is going to be too difficult to bring along.

That being said, during the Beijing Olympics there were tons of stories of athletes finding and bringing home dogs from the streets of the city.  There is greyhound racing in China as well, though the dogs are treated horribly and I have no idea how you would go about getting one.

If you have *really, really* thought this through and made a conscious decision to commit to responsibly maintaining a canine companion, you might contact a group called Team Inch Sighthound Rescue.  They work with people in China and Asia removing dogs (mostly sighthounds) from dangerous/unhealthy situations and bringing them to the States.  It may be they would consider you as a local adopter.  

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks for your thoughtful responses! 

I have been considering adopting a dog for a year-plus. I settled on a greyhound early in the process. I believe it's a perfect fit. 

1. There are dog adoption agencies (or similar) in Mongolia and I have considered adopting another type of dog. But I'm not ready to go there yet. I did contact an Australian agency but same response. 

2. Getting a local shelter to partner with an adoption agency is a good idea. This may work for greyhound agencies in Asia or maybe one in California, where I'm from. 

3. You are right about varying attitudes and standards. Thanks for the suggestion to research import regulations for dogs. I never would have thought about that. Also team inch looks good. 

Thanks again, Eric