Traveling help

I have done some cross country traveling with greyhounds to private homes and events.  It was always with others and once we arrived were at a private house.

My question is I want to take my greyhound on day or overnight car trips as a single traveler.  I have hotels to stay at figured out,  is there options for boarding for a few hours while I do non dog friendly things or is it just better to travel without my greyhound if doing some non dog friendly things. 

What have others done, tips for finding boarding on the road or ideas to keep them safe on the road for a few hours.  RV would be nice but not practical for me.

Would like to see the greyhound museum in Kansas, and stuff in Omaha that would not be dog friendly.  But the rest of the trip would be dog friendly.

The greyhound museum (hall of fame)in abilene at least used to be greyhound friendly with a catch.....you must call ahead and let them know you’re coming.   They have, or used to have, a greyhound that lived at the museum and seeing as how it was home they put it up before other hounds come on to their turf.  785-263-3000 is their number.

Your greyhound's personality will be key.  Will the dog be ok in a strange place for a few hours, or will there be a meltdown?  Can you try it beforehand and see? 

I always enjoy traveling with my dogs.  Since I usually have 2, they can keep each other company in strange places.  On one trip, I made arrangements ahead of time to put them in a doggy daycare that had a Big Dog Room and also a quiet room, if needed, which it turned out one of them did.  

Can you take a folding crate or x-pen?  Some hotels will let you leave a crated dog alone for a short time, and some will not.  Would your dog howl or bark in that circumstance? 

Any place that you board, even for a few hours, will want to see proof of vaccinations including bordatella.  You can ask your vet for a print-out of your dog's medical records to take with you.  

Happy tails trails! 

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

You should have records of vaccinations with you when you travel anyway, but we have used ours to have a dog stay at a local doggy daycare for a few hours.  The boutique, dog friendly hotel we were staying at recommended the day care, and the day care recommended one of their employees to come and stay with our dog in the hotel (like a dog sitter) in the evenings when we had plans.  This was wa-a-a-a-ay before the internet and apps like Rover to help locate responsible dog help.

Most hotels specifically state you can't leave your pet alone in the room, so having a dog sitter was ideal for us.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

5 hours ago, teri_d said:

The greyhound museum (hall of fame)in abilene at least used to be greyhound friendly with a catch.....you must call ahead and let them know you’re coming.   They have, or used to have, a greyhound that lived at the museum and seeing as how it was home they put it up before other hounds come on to their turf.  785-263-3000 is their number.

Thanks I will give that a try….

4 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Your greyhound's personality will be key.  Will the dog be ok in a strange place for a few hours, or will there be a meltdown?  Can you try it beforehand and see? 

I always enjoy traveling with my dogs.  Since I usually have 2, they can keep each other company in strange places.  On one trip, I made arrangements ahead of time to put them in a doggy daycare that had a Big Dog Room and also a quiet room, if needed, which it turned out one of them did.  

Can you take a folding crate or x-pen?  Some hotels will let you leave a crated dog alone for a short time, and some will not.  Would your dog howl or bark in that circumstance? 

Any place that you board, even for a few hours, will want to see proof of vaccinations including bordatella.  You can ask your vet for a print-out of your dog's medical records to take with you.  

Happy tails trails! 

She is really easy going at least so far, could care less if I am there or not as long as she has either a pillow, crate or someone she is fine.  Not really a noise maker of any kind.

Any tips for finding daycare out of town or do you just trust reviews?  As I plan on a driving tour I may not have a hotel in the same area I am sightseeing at….  Did not think of a Rover.com at there house.  Lol I am OLD School…..

My wife has a friend in Omaha who would likely know the local boarding places for greyhounds. We've sent the question to her and will advise when we get a response. 

We took our boy Rocket to the Greyhound Hall of Fame during a cross country trip.  Great people there and the resident dogs at the time were very sweet.  We got one of our favorite pictures of Rocket posing with his granddaddy's Hall of Fame plaque.  Several years later his Daddy was inducted into the HOF but we never got back there to get another picture. 

One word of advice, get yourself a portable weather radio if you will be staying in hotels. During our trip, we encountered tornado warnings on 3 of the 4 nights that we were in Missouri and Kansas. The portable weather radio alerted us.  You can also make sure that you have the Wireless Emergency Alerts turned on for your cell phone which will also alert you based on your phone's location. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

45 minutes ago, Time4ANap said:

My wife has a friend in Omaha who would likely know the local boarding places for greyhounds. We've sent the question to her and will advise when we get a response. 

We took our boy Rocket to the Greyhound Hall of Fame during a cross country trip.  Great people there and the resident dogs at the time were very sweet.  We got one of our favorite pictures of Rocket posing with his granddaddy's Hall of Fame plaque.  Several years later his Daddy was inducted into the HOF but we never got back there to get another picture. 

One word of advice, get yourself a portable weather radio if you will be staying in hotels. During our trip, we encountered tornado warnings on 3 of the 4 nights that we were in Missouri and Kansas. The portable weather radio alerted us.  You can also make sure that you have the Wireless Emergency Alerts turned on for your cell phone which will also alert you based on your phone's location. 

Rocket :beatheart

This sounds like very valuable info, thank you for posting!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Somewhere you might want to check out is Bar K in Kansas City, mo.  We’ve never been but I know lots who have and swear by it.  It’s a restaurant/bar/dog parks.  You have to have a membership but can get a guest pass.  They do have a website and their phone number is 816-474-2275.  If you go there let us know how it is!

20 hours ago, Time4ANap said:

5 hours ago, teri_d said:

Somewhere you might want to check out is Bar K in Kansas City, mo.  We’ve never been but I know lots who have and swear by it.  It’s a restaurant/bar/dog parks.  You have to have a membership but can get a guest pass.  They do have a website and their phone number is 816-474-2275.  If you go there let us know how it is!

Thank you both for the great information.  
Bar K sounds like a great place for a greyhound reunion anyone know if a Kansas City group has one there?        

Not sure about reunions held at bar k but that’s a great idea.  Kc has 3 area greyhound groups - the newbie, retired not rescued, mokan, and Regap (anti racing).  We moved here from Oklahoma 3 years ago with our greyhounds,  so we have not affiliated with any of the groups in the area.