Super Smart Velcro Grey

I've had Coco for about a month now and she's well settled. One really interesting and funny behaviour I've noticed is that she's learned to be completely fine with being left alone in her crate for 3-4 hours when I leave the house -- no whining, she just snoozes the whole time. But if I decide to go upstairs to record some music or get some chores done and I can't have her in the room with me, she cries like a baby!

She really understands the difference between "Oh my humans have left the house for a while but they'll be back" and "How DARE my human have fun in a different room without me!".

When I finish recording and let her come up to the room, she just sleeps -- exactly the way she would if she were downstairs alone! I find it so interesting how much they adore human company and how she only experiences separation anxiety when she knows I'm in the house. 

It's early days, but it sounds as if she is settling in really well with you. As time goes on, this behaviour may well die away - having her very own human is a novelty for her, and she is also still learning to feel secure within your household routines. My Tiger from early on chose to take himself off to another room for some quiet time quite regularly, from early on. Ken and Doc, his predecessors would do so more occasionally. They are all different characters!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

The pack is supposed to be together!  

My Jeter will whine nonstop when I'm working in the front yard, to which he has no access, even though he can see me through the fence.  But if I'm working in the back yard, he goes back inside.  It's enough to know that he CAN be with me, if I'm doing something more interesting than  his napping.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

It’s lovely to watch them evolve the longer you have them. It took Buddy a few months to settle into knowing that I would leave him every morning (for work), but if I tried to go out at the weekend he would have a mini meltdown. The difference? I would wear a dress during the week and jeans at the weekend. His world was turned upside down last November when I went back to work after having an operation on my foot, and wore jeans to work! They notice so much more than we realise

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Before lockdown I used to design the programmes and posters etc. for my local theatre group. I had to buy a laptop so I could work on the dining table because Grace didn't like me leaving her when I went upstairs into the spare bedroom where the desktop pc and printers were to do them. That's my story of why I bought a new laptop and I'm sticking to it :D

But as MerseyGrey says, they do notice what you wear and your routine before you go out. I'm a bus driver and when I change into my uniform to go to work Grace looks at me expectantly for her treat filled Kong and a day of rest but expects to come with me any other time I pick my keys up.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time