Kong or Deer Antler???

Hello Puppy Parents,

I have just recently adopted a 6 year old greyhound, and I have to leave him alone for a day. Can't decide wether to get him a Kong, a deer antler or a fresh bone. My boy Archie LOVES his food, and I just need some advice or what will be the most engaging but also the safest.

Thanks

I'd recommend the Kong filled with peanut butter and kibble.

You shouldn't leave a dog alone with a deer antler or a bone in case a piece breaks off and gets trapped in their throat.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

All the above. Plus, those deer antlers can shatter teeth.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Maybe try a couple things to see what he likes. Maybe I've got weirdos, but my dogs have never really like the original Kongs. I think they are too difficult. Wiki will lick off the "easy" stuff, but gives up trying to get anything too far down in the hole.  She loves this Kong bone though - https://www.chewy.com/kong-quest-bone-dog-toy-color-varies/dp/51555.  And also those bones you can get with filling then refill, something like this - https://www.chewy.com/barkworthies-shin-bone-stuffed/dp/171746.  None of these things will last all day though, they really just take minutes for the dog to finish. You say you are leaving him for the day, have you left him for shorter periods at all?

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

I won't leave a dog alone with a chew of any kind since accidents can happen and a chew can splinter or a piece can break off and get caught in the throat etc. We only give any kind of chewing item when we are here and the dogs are attended.  The Kong with peanut butter is definitely the better choice. As MerseyGrey said, freezing it will help it last longer. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

An alternative might be a treat-dispensing ball like this one:  https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Zone-Treat-Ball-4-Inch/dp/B00P0MK4UO/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/137-0971515-6472705?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00P0MK4UO&pd_rd_r=2a054860-4dbe-451a-9ce1-6fcbe3dd41a4&pd_rd_w=oTjEL&pd_rd_wg=S0k57&pf_rd_p=fd3ebcd0-c1a2-44cf-aba2-bbf4810b3732&pf_rd_r=9F8FDY9YM5GHTKXB069N&psc=1&refRID=9F8FDY9YM5GHTKXB069N

[hmm -- wonder why my tiny.url didn't work]

Anyhow, greyhounds aren't a natural at toys like this, but most of mine have figured it out eventually.  Once Archie has had some success, since he's food-motivated, you could put some or all of a dry kibble meal in it when you leave, and let him knock it around for however long.  Major danger is to table lamps.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• 4 weeks later...

I'd use a Kong for leaving, but my boy does have a deer antler which he enjoys a lot. Be careful with bones though, as my grey does display some unexpected resource guarding if I try to take certain bone and bone-like treats off him.

any of the super hard bones often result in cracked teeth for aggressive chewers. there are strange sun dried animal hides out there that seem to be the rage. https://farmhounds.com/collections/hides/Rolls  expensive but people swear their dog only needs 15 min of chewing to satisfy their need to gnaw. i stick with wholesome hides and other products from https://www.mickeyspetsupplies.com  or frozen marrow bones from the butcher.

I prefer the West Paw Toppl to the Kong. Easier to stuff and clean imo and more durable. It comes in 2 sizes, you'd want the larger of the two. 

Bully sticks are the only other thing I give at this point, and those are supervised. Unfortunately at one point I wondered why I had stopped giving cow hoofs and started giving them again. Got my answer. :( One very expensive dental surgery later and out went the split antlers, nylabones, etc. Even bully sticks have risk, but mine aren't such heavy chewers that I worry about them breaking pieces off, which is the risk with those.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."