Shaved foster

Foster number 40-something came in from a Kansas haul, one boy who never raced along with a bunch of broodies.

And he's shaved.

Not like "the leg was shaved for an IV" or "shaved torso for surgery," no- the whole body, halfway up the neck but not the head nor the short hair on the legs. Some of the tail was shaved.

And it's not like there's signs of tar on the skin, or any other reason to get shaved.

Why the heck would the greyhound kennel shave a dog like that?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Any wisps of hair left to give you an idea of how long the hair had been?  I'm guessing no sign of recent injuries. Somebody preparing him for Arizona's summer heat, although even that doesn't make sense.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I should have added the undercoat is still there but short, he's not a Chimú or anything, but it's just weird. No signs of injury, no signs of tar... and if they were prepping him for Arizona, why was he the only one on the haul that they shaved?

There's some hair near the shoulder blades where it's not trimmed quite so close and it looks pretty normal length there and on the upper part of the neck and the head.

We're stumped.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

They regularly shave them for the summer heat on some farms, even though that's not really what you should do, as it's faster than brushing out 100s of dogs.  :rolleyes:  

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

He's going to need sunscreen and an umbrella here. :lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I've left the "serious" questioning for the  adoption group- I thought I'd ask here just to see if something is going on, or there's a perfectly cromulent reason that I can't parse. The last time I tried to figure out why a foster was off (came in 20 pounds under race weight), I hit a wall at every turn. Interestingly, the person who took it most seriously was the track rep in Alabama.

It's a real butcher job on the haircut, but no worse than I would be with clippers.

Oh well- another one of those mysteries for the ages.

For anyone who wants to know what a red fawn looks like when he's been shaved-

nSf5fHT.jpg

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

The only other thing I can think of is maybe he was covered in grass burs. :dunno

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Looks like there was some debate about this practice even back in 2007 on the Greyhound Data forum.  Not much of a thread but gives the perspective of a couple trainers or owners.  Primarily coat maintenance or keeping them cooler in summer if they had a thick coat from the few responses on the forum. https://www.greyhound-data.com/knowledge.php?b=4&note=80913

(Scroll down to see the forum after clicking) 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

He's not really all that soft, probably because the coat is growing back in while the undercoat is doing its own thing. He looks a lot better today, the coat is growing back in quite nicely.

Notable: He came in with a big 'ol soft lump on the side of his neck, and it's gone. Weird.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

• 2 weeks later...

It gets weirder. He never raced, and I don't think he was ever registered (maybe the entire litter), but the right ear tat is 10T.

January 2020, A, B, C, D, E.... T.

20 in a litter? It's pretty clearly a letter T.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

• 3 weeks later...