New doggo owner and first time galgo owner to boot!

Hi everyone, my name's Jill and I'm an American living in the Netherlands with my boyfriend (now going on a little over 3 years of being here!) In april we got our first dog together, which was a huge excitement from me, since all of my life, I've only ever had small pets like hamsters and hermit crabs. He's had dogs with his family all his life, in fact, I believe all of them have been either german pointers or griffons of some sort (the medium size dogs), so he's had that experience, but we're both new to having a greyhound, specifically a galgo. We rescued him in April from Spain, so he was a hunting dog and not a racing one, though we really don't know much about his actual history, aside from that he was neglected with signs of small scars and being very unsure, especially of men. But now, to our surprise, he's doing quite well at adjusting and trusting us. We were just shocked at how quickly he opened up, and while we still have a lot to work on, namely just getting him into learning commands, it's been an amazing experience. Anyways, without further adeu, meet Deero (pronounced Der-ro) https://imgur.com/a/WXnlIAR

He is gorgeous!  It sounds like he is doing great.  Are you in a city or less crowded area?  How does he respond to more people around?  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

On 5/15/2021 at 3:47 PM, EllenEveBaz said:

He is gorgeous!  It sounds like he is doing great.  Are you in a city or less crowded area?  How does he respond to more people around?  

Thank you! We are in a very small village, so aside from really beautiful days with lots of bikers and tourists, its never busy haha. He's generally a bit slow to go up to someone, but once he does and you give him good scratches and pets (and treats of course), he's pretty easily won over. Even with men, he is a lot more wary around them still, but we had a few of my boyfriend's friends over and he was pretty quick to come up and sniff them once they were sitting down!

What fun you will have seeing him open up more to you and other people.   

we still have a lot to work on, namely just getting him into learning commands

Galgos, like most sighthounds, are generally independent and not into being trained.  They've been bred for untold generations for success in making their own decisions in hunting and not looking to humans for being told what to do.  To train them, you need to make it very worth their while.  :)  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Welcome Deero

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to Deero, and congrats to all of you! He is gorgeous. Our galgo, Grandpa Grey, also came from FBM. We've had greyhounds for many years so it's been interesting to notice the differences with galgos. :D Wishing you many happy years with your new boy! 

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl.