Thyroid meds

I have had a few ghs on thyroid meds.  I have always given it to them one hr prior to meals or 3 hours after meals.  Now I am being told don't need to do that just pop it in their food.  Thoughts?  Here is picture of our 8 y.o. gh, Patch, that we adopted in Dec.

patch 1.jpeg

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

I think I only concentrated on that timing when I was taking Sam in for bloodwork. I think that timing resulted in optimum amounts showing up in his bloodwork. But just giving him a thyroid pill at mealtimes would produce optimal results at some point in time that wasn't critical unless we were drawing blood to test.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

As a human on thyroid meds, I have been told to take my pill at least an hour before breakfast, on a empty stomach, and three hours is best.  A thyroid test should be given in the three hour window.  My daughter's doctor has told her she can eat within a half an hour after taking her pill.  So the answer is, who knows.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Coffee can also diminish the thyroxine uptake. Not that I'm suggesting that you should give your greyhound caffeine. But I think as long as you or your hound take it at the same time each day so when the thyroid levels are checked they can adjust the amount needed.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time