Sudden New Behaviors

My 4 y/o boy Gary has been acting progressively more and more strange over the last few days. I'm struggling to figure out what is going on. He had an implant removal surgery back in late Feb. and has just gotten clearance to resume "normal" activities. Before this, he was only allowed to go on short leash walks for potty breaks. Today was the first day in a long while we've been able to walk over 1 mi...

A few days ago he started to act markedly more sassy than usual... "stealing" items around the house like boxes and bags, when in the past he really only had interest in pillows and stuffed animals, things that resemble his squeaky toys. He tried to counter surf, which he has done only once before in the time I've had him. His overall demeanor seems off to me, he's much more restless than usual. Now tonight, things escalated to a level that makes me wary of what could happen next if I can't get a read on what's going on. He stole a plastic bag from a table top. I took the bag from him (not from his mouth, just from the ground in front of him) and gave him one of his toys. He laid down after that and I went to pet him, he has never reacted to me petting him when laying down before. It happened so fast I wasn't able to back away before he reacted, he had bared his teeth and lunged at my face in an attempt to bite. I gave him a stern no and walked away, fairly shaken up trying to figure out what I had done wrong since I try to respect his boundaries as much as possible (besides teeth brushing lol). I clearly did something to cross his boundaries and will try to give him his space. I do not want to outright ignore him, but also do not want to overstep and upset him more, if that makes sense. 

I'm not sure if the surgery/movement restrictions have affected him or if he is having a problem with me (trying not give myself so much credit, but he wags his tail with my housemates and seems very frustrated towards me). Has anyone had a similar situation? What do you recommend going forward? Am I being dramatic (half-joking)? Thank you very much for any advice or help. 

If he was my grey I would be using a muzzle with him while figuring things out.   Wonder if he just has so much bottled up energy and frustration from lack of exercise.

I have a soon to be three year old who is still settling in she just started snapping and pulling at her dog bed and will snap at the cat or me when she wants attention and has not gotten enough exercise.   I do not consider it an aggressive behavior as the only thing she makes contact with is the beds and it is more of a pinch the material.  She gets redirected anytime time she does it close to the cat or me.  As long as it is an air snap I take it as her trying to entice play.  If I snap back at her from across the room  she wags her tail and comes over to me then trots to the door like you get it let’s play now.

I give her something to chew on dental chew or edible bone to redirect her frustration and if weather permits a working walk meaning at a slow lope or trotting pace stopping only to cross streets for as long as she wants to go usually 20-45 min.  Takes care of her snapping to get something started and she naps and settles in for the day.

Not saying that is what is going on at your home.  Hope this helps and gives you something to consider.

Perhaps he had got used to being kept on a short leash and being strictly controlled on what he could and could not do because of the implant and removal surgery, now those restrictions have been removed he's pushing the boundaries to see what he can get away with. Treat Gary as if you've only just got him and are not sure on how he's going to behave. Be ready to stop him from counter surfing, pinching what's not his etc. The snapping when he was lying down might be sleep startle.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

How long have you had him? If he's a recent adoption then you are going through the end of the honeymoon phase.

Since you know he is picking/chewing on things in your home, pick your stuff up and secure it yourself before he chews something dangerous.  If he has something and you want to take it away from him, off him something else. This is "trading up".

What kind of implant was removed? He may be in pain and is showing it the only way he knows how.

Have you contacted your adoption group for guidance?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

8 hours ago, 1Moregrey said:

If he was my grey I would be using a muzzle with him while figuring things out.   Wonder if he just has so much bottled up energy and frustration from lack of exercise.

I have a soon to be three year old who is still settling in she just started snapping and pulling at her dog bed and will snap at the cat or me when she wants attention and has not gotten enough exercise.   I do not consider it an aggressive behavior as the only thing she makes contact with is the beds and it is more of a pinch the material.  She gets redirected anytime time she does it close to the cat or me.  As long as it is an air snap I take it as her trying to entice play.  If I snap back at her from across the room  she wags her tail and comes over to me then trots to the door like you get it let’s play now.

I give her something to chew on dental chew or edible bone to redirect her frustration and if weather permits a working walk meaning at a slow lope or trotting pace stopping only to cross streets for as long as she wants to go usually 20-45 min.  Takes care of her snapping to get something started and she naps and settles in for the day.

Not saying that is what is going on at your home.  Hope this helps and gives you something to consider.

Slipped the muzzle right on after that encounter! I wish he had been playing last night, but the bark that came with the snap was unfortunately not so playful! I think the movement restrictions have definitely left him frustrated. Thank you for the advice!

5 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

Perhaps he had got used to being kept on a short leash and being strictly controlled on what he could and could not do because of the implant and removal surgery, now those restrictions have been removed he's pushing the boundaries to see what he can get away with. Treat Gary as if you've only just got him and are not sure on how he's going to behave. Be ready to stop him from counter surfing, pinching what's not his etc. The snapping when he was lying down might be sleep startle.

I wanted to take away some of his earned privileges (i.e. laying on the furniture) until I can get a read on what's going on, but I didn't want to "punish" him. Unfortunately, with the bandaging from surgery, he developed some nasty pressure sores which extended movement restrictions from 4 weeks to 7 weeks.... Thank you for the tips!

9 minutes ago, macoduck said:

How long have you had him? If he's a recent adoption then you are going through the end of the honeymoon phase.

Since you know he is picking/chewing on things in your home, pick your stuff up and secure it yourself before he chews something dangerous.  If he has something and you want to take it away from him, off him something else. This is "trading up".

What kind of implant was removed? He may be in pain and is showing it the only way he knows how.

Have you contacted your adoption group for guidance?

I adopted him back in Dec 2020, so this could be spot on!

We usually trade up with treats or biscuits since he is very food motivated. I call him a bit of kleptomaniac.. from the day I brought him home, he's been stealing pillows and stuffed animals. The more typical household items being "stolen" has happened within the last 2-3 days.

He had a metatarsal break in July 2020 during a race and they placed implants to fix it. Fast forward to Jan/Feb 2021, he was cutting his leg open dramatically and nothing would heal... implants were infected and had to come out. The surgery went well, he was like a new dog after 2-3 weeks. Jumping, running, full of energy like never before. 

I have not been able to make contact with my adoption group nor have Gary's vet or surgeon, very odd and confusing...

Hi. Now that your dog has a new 'zest for life' so to speak, I'd treat the situation as if he is a brand new pup/dog in your home. EG: give appropriate personal space, toilet training 101 if he needs it, keep items off benches and out of reach, do rotate his toys, keep appropriate parts of the house restricted when you can't 100% monitor his behaviour, teach house rules and other basic training with Positive Reinforcement, routine (but not boring), walks for fun and poos and pees, etc.   

It goes without saying - try be consistent, patient, and calm, and preventative. Peace.

We went through something similar with our dog too, similar timescale re adoption to behaviour (although fortunately for us, no surgery, poor Gary!!). We had a few more reactions than this but we ended up stopping him coming on the sofa with us and we also now only pet him when he is clearly asking for it. We've had no reactions since. Good luck :)